Building a More Sustainable Bank: Santander UK Publishes New Strategy
May 13, 2019—Santander UK has launched a new strategic framework for Sustainability with the release of its 2018 Sustainability Report. The Sustainability strategy reflects Santander’s ambition to be a responsible bank and to further integrate social and environmental considerations into business decisions. This report highlights the importance of transparency in responding to key environmental, social and governance issues and how Santander is bringing its purpose to life – to help people and businesses prosper.
“I aim to ensure that our priorities deliver long-term value for our business, the customers we serve and communities in which we operate. These segments are entirely interrelated, as it is simply not possible to build sustainable success for one and not the others. Good business depends on a strong, healthy society – and vice versa.”
Nathan Bostock, Chief Executive Officer, Santander UK
2018 performance highlights include:
- Creating a thriving workplace
- A 20% increase in investment in training, focusing on flexible, digital training providing skills for the future.
- Santander doubled its paid paternity leave, following publication of its ‘Equal Lives’ research in collaboration with Business in the Community.
- Sustainable economic growth and financial inclusion
- Supported over 7,900 small businesses and start-ups through the Breakthrough programme, including subsidised interns through the Santander Universities scheme, and provided £20.7m of growth capital financing.
- Piloted a Specialist Support Team with 7,500 branch colleagues to help vulnerable customers and those with complex needs.
- Developing Santander’s approach to climate change
- Achieved joint first ranking for renewable financing in the UK and participated at a Group level in a UNEP FI pilot project to implement TCFD recommendations.
- Reduced internal carbon emissions by 11.5% year-on-year and electricity use by 4.9%.
- Community investment
- Launched a new partnership with Alzheimer’s Society aiming to make Santander digital banking services dementia friendly.
- Santander volunteers reached almost 72,000 students, up by 87%, with educational workshops on money management, careers and digital safety.
- Inclusive digitalisation of services
- Launched a Digital Investment Adviser to allow anyone to receive personalised investment advice from £20, and an online mortgage hub, helping 14% more first time home buyers get on the property ladder.
- Continued to add features and enhance the security of Santander’s mobile banking app, resulting in an iOS rating of 4.8.
- Fighting financial crime
- Launched a new Anti-Financial Crime Training Academy to build a culture of anti-financial crime in the organisation.
- Published case studies of impact through collaboration, including identifying human trafficking and modern slavery in high risk UK industries such as construction and hand car washing.
There is a lot of work ahead, but Santander believes it is on the right track. In 2019, Santander will focus on working collaboratively with all stakeholders and setting targets to measure progress, as it continues to integrate the Sustainability strategy into the business.
For more information visit https://www.santandersustainability.co.uk/
Santander UK is a financial services provider in the UK that offers a wide range of personal and commercial financial products and services. It has brought real competition to the UK, through its innovative products for retail customers and relationship banking model for UK SMEs. At 31 December 2018, the bank has c23,800 employees. It serves around 15 million active customers, via a nationwide branch network, telephone, mobile and online banking; and 64 regional Corporate Business Centres. Santander UK is subject to the full supervision of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) in the UK. Santander UK plc customers’ eligible deposits are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) in the UK.
Banco Santander (SAN SM, STD US, BNC LN) is a leading retail and commercial bank, founded in 1857 and headquartered in Spain. It has a meaningful presence in 10 core markets in Europe and the Americas, and is the largest bank in the euro zone by market capitalization. At the end of 2018, Banco Santander had EUR 981 billion in customer funds (deposits and mutual funds), 144 million customers, 13,000 branches and 200,000 employees. Banco Santander made attributable profit of EUR 7,810 million in 2018, an increase of 18% compared to the previous year.
The press office operates from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Outside of these hours please call 0800 5877708.