GSK Publishes Annual Report and Responsible Business Supplement 2016
By being commercially successful and operating responsibly, we will improve people’s health and benefit society, as well as create value for shareholders.
The Responsible Business Supplement provides a performance update on our 23 responsible business commitments across four key focus areas: Health for all, Our behaviour, Our people and Our planet. It is supplemental to the information in GSK’s Annual Report on our approach to responsible business.
“GSK has a strong commitment to operating responsibly and playing our part in meeting some of society’s biggest healthcare challenges.
Over the last decade, this has been seen in our commitment to place access to medicines at the centre of our business approach, in our innovation focused on diseases that impact the poorest countries – such as malaria – and in the changes we have made to our commercial model and sales and marketing practices.”
Sir Andrew Witty, Chief Executive Officer, GSK
“GSK’s Responsible Business Supplement 2016 is a strong statement of its intentions, actions and achievements.
One of its signal accomplishments is the clear link between GSK’s business strategy and the central public health issues the strategy is designed to address.”
Aron Cramer, President and CEO, BSR
Responsible business highlights 2016
- Topped Fortune’s Change the World list and ranked first in the Access to Medicine Index for the fifth consecutive time
- Expanded our graduated approach to filing and enforcing patents to ensure we balance the need to protect our intellectual property with a country’s economic maturity.
- Proposed the creation of a permanent ‘biopreparedness organisation’ to develop vaccines for major global health threats of the future.
- Committed to supply our essential vaccines at our lowest price to internationally recognised civil society organisations supporting refugees in response to the humanitarian crisis
- Continued to use our 70 years’ experience in antibiotics to tackle resistance; opened the Institute for Infectious Diseases and Public Health in China to address local health threats posed by antibiotic resistance and infectious diseases.
- Received confirmation from the World Health Organization that funding has been committed to enable pilot implementation of our RTS,S malaria vaccine in three settings in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Ensured 1.3 million children received life-saving treatments in 2016 through our pioneering partnership with Save the Children.
- Stopped paying healthcare professionals (HCPs) to speak to other prescribers about our prescription medicines and vaccines, effective January 2016.
- Provided unprecedented access to preventive healthcare to almost 100,000 employees and family members in developing markets through our Partnership for Prevention (P4P) programme.
- Reduced our direct carbon emissions (scope 1 and 2) by 18% since 2010, through a continued focus on energy efficiency, renewable energy and investment in sustainable buildings.
GSK – one of the world’s leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies – is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
We have three world-leading businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
For further information please contact: email@example.com