Hess Corporation’s 2016 Sustainability Report Shows Continued Progress in Safe, Responsible Business Practices
“We believe sustainable practices create value for our shareholders and opportunities to continuously improve business performance. We are proud of the progress made and excited to continue building a sustainable enterprise that makes a positive difference for our stakeholders and the world around us.” John B. Hess, Chief Executive Officer, Hess Corporation.
Hess’ sustainability strategy is driven by its unwavering commitment to protect the health and safety of its people, safeguard the environment, and contribute to the sustainability of the communities where it operates, while delivering long-term value to its shareholders.
Hess Corporation’s 20th annual sustainability report has achieved the G4 Core level for sustainability reporting under the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) methodology. GRI is an independent organization that provides the world’s most widely recognized sustainability reporting and disclosure standards. The report has been third-party assured by ERM Certification and Verification Services.
Hess’ 2016 Sustainability Report describes the company’s progress against its 2020 sustainability goals in five strategic key areas.
Key achievements in 2016 include:
- Safety and Health: Improved employee total recordable incident rate by 58 percent and reduced process safety events by 36 percent compared to 2015.
- Community and Social Performance: Invested nearly $20 million in social programs, with more than $16 million directed toward education.
- How We Operate: Implemented enhanced Environment, Health and Safety standards and initiated detailed reviews of integrity risk at producing assets as part of ongoing asset integrity management process.
- Climate Change and Energy: Reduced flaring and greenhouse gas emission intensities by 29 percent and 20 percent, respectively, versus a 2014 baseline. Recognized on the prestigious CDP Global Climate List as a leader in addressing climate change-related risks and opportunities.
- Environment: Reduced total freshwater use by approximately 16 percent compared to 2015.
Hess has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index North America for the seventh consecutive year, the Corporate Responsibility magazine’s list of 100 Best Corporate Citizens for the 10th consecutive year, and the Global 100 Most Sustainable Companies by Corporate Knights for the third consecutive year.
Hess Corporation is a leading global independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas. Hess is committed to helping meet the world’s growing energy needs in a safe, environmentally responsible, socially sensitive and profitable way.
More information on Hess Corporation is available at http://www.hess.com.