Since Kimberly-Clark's inception in 1872 we have had a focus on sustainable forestry. That focus continues as we lead the way in environmentally responsible fiber use through the following actions:
- Sourcing 100% of our wood fiber, by 2015, from suppliers that have received third-party certification of their forestry activities
- Obtaining 90% of the fiber, by 2025, in our tissue products from environmentally preferred sources. This includes Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified wood fiber, recycled fiber and sustainable alternative fibers.
- Transitioning at least 50% of wood fiber sourced from natural forests to alternative fiber sources by 2025
"Kimberly-Clark has modest environmental impact reduction objectives. It is no surprise, then, that with its strong efficiency and culture of continuous improvement, K-C has achieved or exceeded most 2015 targets. While that is a job well done, there is still more to achieve! I would encourage the company to set its ambitions and goals to a heightened level and speed required by the threat of a climate crisis, the pressures of deforestation and urban consumer waste, and the needs of communities suffering water, sanitation and food stresses."
— Claude Fussler
Sustainability Advisory Board Member
Fiber Use in 2013
Total market pulp consumed by Kimberly-Clark in its manufacturing our products: 4.4%
- Total virgin wood fiber used in Kimberly-Clark products: approx. 2.40 million air-dried metric tons (ADMT)
- Environmentally preferred fiber used: 71.7%*
- Reduction of fiber sourced from natural forest: 24%.
*Refers to global fiber supply
Kimberly-Clark (NYSE: KMB) and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 175 countries. Every day, nearly a quarter of the world's population trust K-C's brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies, Pull-Ups, Kotex and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds No. 1 or No. 2 share positions in more than 80 countries. To keep up with the latest K-C news and to learn more about the Company's 142-year history of innovation, visit www.kimberly-clark.com or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.