Leveraging Our Scale to Make a Positive Impact Where We Live and Work
Our commitment to sustainability is integrated into every aspect of our business. Our global programs and initiatives, spread across 100+ sites in 30 countries and supported by approximately 200,000 employees, exemplify our strategy from thought into action. We leverage our scope and scale to advance the broader development of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and progress our five Sustainability Cornerstones; People, Communities, Environment, Innovation, and Integrity. Our dedication to and focus on these cornerstones fueled significant results in CY17.
- Our commitment to our employees’ quality of life fostered the health and safety improvements that reduced our incident rate to 0.50, for an annual reduction of 12% from 2016.
- At Flex, we encourage the pursuit of lifelong learning and provide employee development opportunities. Our employees completed 828,328 online and in-person training hours to help expand skill sets and grow professionally.
- Flex partners with numerous community initiatives around education, employment, environmental protection, and conservation. In 2017, we supported local communities by volunteering more than 59,000 hours globally, adding up to more than 207,000 hours since 2014.
- Through Flex Foundation grants, corporate and employee donations, and employee volunteering efforts, we provided financial and emergency response relief to six locations around the globe affected by natural disasters.
- We approach environmental responsibility beyond baseline compliance by focusing on sustainable practices. We installed more than 22,500 LED light fixtures, totaling to 110,000 since 2013. This program saves 75,000,000 kWh and reduces 56,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions per year.
- Using our environmental management system as the foundation, we help reduce environmental risks and mitigate negative impacts. Our global water initiative reduced water withdrawn by over 1,400,000 m3, an 11% reduction year-over-year.
- Flex helps our customers innovate and develop products for a smarter, more connected world. We manufactured photovoltaic modules and solar trackers that produced enough power to run the equivalent of around 2 million homes since 2016.
- Sinctronics, a Flex-founded company, pioneers circular manufacturing processes that realize up to 82% of energy savings over normal plastics production. These processes put 95% of recovered material back in the supply chain and replace 20% of virgin plastics with recycled materials.
- Integrity is a key part of how we do business at Flex. 98% of our employees completed the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics (CoBCE) online training, ensuring we operate with the highest ethical standards.
- Our ongoing commitment to ethics and compliance has helped us earn and maintain the confidence of our customers, employees, investors, vendors and the communities in which we work. In 2017, we provided live Tone-at-the-Top training at 66 sites, further fostering our culture of business ethics and compliance.
These are just a few examples of how we use our innovation and integrity to create a positive impact on the communities, people and environment where we operate and live.