Singtel Publishes Its Second Group Sustainability Report 2016
The Singtel Group Sustainability Report 2016 is the company’s second Group report which covers the sustainability strategies, initiatives and performance of its operations in Singapore and Australia for financial year ended 31 March 2016 (FY2016).
The report provides details of Singtel Group’s commitment towards creating sustainable and long-term growth for its business, while leading and shaping positive change for its four sustainability pillars namely marketplace and customers, the communities it operates in, its people and the environment.
The report has been prepared to be in accordance with GRI G4 – Core Level and is independently assured to the AA1000 Assurance Standard and ISAE3000. Singtel Group is also committed to the UN Global Compact 10 principles since 2007 and the report presents the company’s Communication on Progress.
2016 highlights include:
- The Group’s 2020 sustainability targets for its top material issues;
- Mapping the Group’s sustainability efforts and programmes to the UN Sustainable Development Goals;
- An update of the Group’s sustainable supply chain management strategy;
- A Life Cycle Assessment of the Group’s direct and indirect environmental and social footprint across its extended supply chain; and
- The Group’s scorecards on key performance indicators.
In addition, Optus, Singtel’s wholly-owned subsidiary in Australia, continues to produce a standalone Sustainability Report titled ‘Innovating for a Better Tomorrow’ that gives details on its sustainability programmes in Australia.
Highlights in the report include:
- Improved mobile coverage and increased data allowances, with our superfast 4G Plus network now reaching 94% of Australians;
- Identified an opportunity to increase the impact of innovation and technology within the community by introducing its Future Makers grants program which accelerates ideas that will change the future for vulnerable youth;
- Brought innovation to life across its organisation with the establishment of the “Think Big” programme which actively encourages people to think about innovation as part of their day to day roles;
- Reviewed the comprehensive energy efficiency of its network operations which is underway, and plays a critical role in helping to establish long term carbon intensity reduction targets; and
- Raised the bar with its suppliers through its Sustainable Supply Chain Management programme. Risk assessed 75% of group spend and are now working on the various risks and opportunities.
Optus’s goal is to be Australia’s most loved, recommended and innovative service brand. It continually strives to live its values and is committed to help the nation be more sustainable.
About Singtel Group
Singtel is Asia's leading communications group providing a portfolio of services including voice and data solutions over fixed, wireless and Internet platforms as well as infocomm technology and pay TV. We have presence in Asia, Australia and Africa with over 600 million mobile customers in 25 countries, including India, Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand. We also have a vast network of offices throughout Asia Pacific, Europe and the United States.
We aim to create sustainable and long-term growth for our business, while leading and shaping positive changes for our marketplace and customers, the communities we operate in, our people and the environment. Singtel’s community focus is on the well-being of people, enabling their inclusion into society and helping them realise their potential through our core competence in digital and infocomm technologies. We believe that we can make a difference to disadvantaged communities, especially the vulnerable children and youth, through corporate and workplace giving, staff volunteering and leveraging our skills and ICT innovations.
Singtel is a founding member of the Singapore Business Network on DisAbility – advancing equitable employment opportunities for people with disability through awareness, shared expertise, network and resources.
Read more about Singtel’s corporate social responsibility and programmes at http://info.singtel.com/about-us/sustainability.