The Powerful Backing of American Express: 2017-2018 Corporate Social Responsibility Report Highlights its Commitment to Communities
In 2017, Company Contributed $40 Million in Charitable Giving Globally and Achieved a 50 Percent Reduction in Its Carbon Footprint for Scope 1 and 2 Emissions Compared to 2011
Today, American Express published its 2017-2018 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report, which details the company’s progress to strengthen its backing of all its stakeholders.
American Express’ approach to CSR is an extension of its mission — to become essential to its customers by providing differentiated products and services to help them achieve their aspirations — and its commitment to doing what’s right. The report highlights how the company delivers value for its business as well as its communities by investing financial and human resources in ways that address the social, environmental and economic needs of its communities, customers, employees, shareholders and partners.
“In conducting our business around the world, we work hard to be environmentally conscious, socially responsible, a compassionate employer, and most of all, a company that people can trust to do what’s right,” said Stephen J. Squeri, Chairman and CEO, American Express Company. “We are committed to doing still more to protect our planet and enrich the lives of all of our constituents, today and for future generations.”
The report features updates on the company’s ongoing efforts to create social, environmental and economic value for its stakeholders as well as operate ethically and responsibly. Key accomplishments include:
- Being rated as one of Ponemon’s Most Trusted Companies for Privacy for the past 10 years;
- Expanding paid parental leave to 20 weeks for all regular full-time and part-time salaried U.S.-based employees – supporting both mothers and fathers;
- Celebrating Small Business Saturday’s eighth year, a day it created to support local businesses that help create jobs, boost the economy and preserve neighborhoods;
- Supporting more than 5,000 colleague-selected organizations through the company’s gift-matching program;
- Providing $3.5 million in grants through the company’s Center for Community Development to partners in support of programs addressing homelessness, affordable housing, financial literacy, healthcare and rural revitalization efforts;
- Reducing its carbon footprint for scope 1 and 2 emissions by 50 percent compared to 2011 and achieving zero net carbon emissions for its employee business travel (third party air, rail and rental cars) through the purchase of carbon offsets and renewable energy products; and
- Committing to limiting single-use plastic in its operations and redesigning existing materials and plastic products by working in partnership with Parley for Oceans.
About American Express
American Express is a globally integrated payments company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, InAuth, corporate card, business travel, and corporate responsibility.