Wynn Resorts Issues 2017 Global Sustainability Report
Wynn Resorts today issued its 2017 Global Sustainability Report, providing a comprehensive view of the Company’s commitment to responsible business practices, corporate culture, environmental protection, and community service. The report also outlines several new initiatives supporting employee diversity and gender equity at the Company, reinforcing why Wynn Resorts continues to remain the industry employer of choice.
In a forward to the report, Wynn Resorts CEO Matt Maddox remarked, “We work to be the leader in community development, in environmental stewardship and in developing new leaders both inside and outside the company.” Maddox continued, “Over the years, the culture of Wynn Resorts and the individual passion of our employees has made giving back a part of who we are. No corporate program can replicate authentic compassion, and we continue to harness this powerful spirit.”
Detailed in the report are actions taken throughout the year in several key areas: corporate governance, global growth, workforce development, major philanthropic efforts, responsible sourcing, and prioritizing a healthy planet. New to this year’s report is an overview of the Company’s substantial investment in pioneering solar- and battery-powered clean energy solutions, as well as environmental cleanup efforts at the Encore Boston Harbor site, that have moved Wynn Resorts into a leadership position in environmental stewardship.
From among the many examples throughout the report, highlights include:
- Creation of the Wynn Resorts Culture and Community Department, which supports diversity and inclusion, gender equality, fair treatment in the workplace, and employee charitable efforts. In addition, several new benefits have been introduced including paid parental leave, an industry first for a casino resort in Nevada.
- Introduction of the Women’s Leadership Forum, designed to further close the gender gap in management, provide career growth opportunities for female employees at all levels, create pay and title equity, and ensure a safe workplace.
- More than $24 million and 22,000 employee volunteer hours donated to hundreds of charities, or invested in local communities on behalf of Wynn Resorts in Las Vegas, Boston, and Macau, including relief efforts after Typhoon Hato in Macau and Hurricane Harvey in Houston.
- Widespread Las Vegas elementary schools support, including Wynn’s innovative “Adopt-A-Classroom” program at Dean Petersen Elementary School that helped increase teacher retention rates, test scores, and the school’s overall rating by the Clark County school district.
- Construction and opening of a Crisis Intervention Center serving homeless Veterans, created in partnership with the non-profit organization Veterans Village Las Vegas and hundreds of local trade companies that donated more than $1 million in materials.
- Extensive Remediation of the Encore Boston Harbor site, fixing decades of untold damage done by a former chemical plant that destroyed 630,000 tons of soil over 33 acres. This included the creation of a “living shoreline” along the Mystic River, meaning that more than seven acres of shoreline was restored to a natural state, improving water equality and increasing biodiversity.
- $12 million investment in solar energy, including the opening of the Wynn Solar Facility, a 160-acre solar facility that is currently powering 75% of the peak power needs at Wynn Las Vegas and Encore. The Facility will eventually provide 100% of the power requirements for Wynn’s new lagoon and convention space expansion. The solar energy effort also includes the installation of 103,000 square feet of solar panels on Wynn’s rooftop.
Wynn Resorts has issued its 2017 Global Sustainability Report with data that references relevant Global Reporting Index (GRI) Standards. The report, along with more information on Wynn Resorts, can be found at www.wynnresorts.com/sustainability.
About Wynn Resorts
Wynn Resorts, Limited is traded on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the ticker symbol WYNN and is part of the S&P 500 Index. Wynn Resorts owns and operates Wynn Las Vegas (wynnlasvegas.com), Wynn Macau (wynnmacau.com) and Wynn Palace, Cotai (wynnpalace.com).
Wynn and Encore Las Vegas feature two luxury hotel towers with a total of 4,750 spacious hotel rooms, suites and villas, approximately 192,000 square feet of casino space, 22 dining experiences featuring signature chefs and 11 bars, two award-winning spas, approximately 290,000 square feet of meeting and convention space, approximately 110,000 square feet of retail space as well as two showrooms; three nightclubs, a beach club and recreation and leisure facilities. A luxury retail Strip-front expansion, Wynn Plaza, is currently under construction and is scheduled to debut in the second half of 2018.
Wynn Macau is a luxury hotel and casino resort located in the Macau Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China with two luxury hotel towers with a total of 1,008 spacious rooms and suites, approximately 273,000 square feet of casino space, casual and fine dining in eight restaurants, approximately 31,000 square feet of meeting and convention space, approximately 59,000 square feet of retail space, and recreation and leisure facilities including two opulent spas, a salon and a rotunda show.
Wynn Palace is a luxury integrated resort in Macau. Designed as a floral-themed destination, it boasts 1,706 exquisite rooms, suites and villas, approximately 420,000 square feet of casino space, 11 food and beverage outlets, approximately 37,000 square feet of meeting and convention space, approximately 106,000 square feet of designer retail, SkyCabs that traverse an eight-acre Performance Lake, an extensive collection of rare art, a lush spa, salon and recreation and leisure facilities.
Wynn Resorts is currently constructing Encore Boston Harbor located in Everett, Massachusetts.
# # #
Deanna Pettit-Irestone, Wynn Las Vegas