Make Your Mark on World Water Day
At Xylem, water is our business, but even more importantly, it is our passion.
Around the world, our brand means more than just leading-edge water technologies and applications expertise. It stands for our people, who make a difference every day developing solutions to water issues around the globe and giving back to their own communities by volunteering time and expertise. Xylem colleagues do so through our corporate citizenship program, Xylem Watermark. Through a variety of activities, they support Watermark’s mission to provide and protect safe water resources and educate people about water issues.
This year on World Water Day, March 22, Xylem will kick off the “Make Your Mark 30-Day Challenge,” which will run through Earth Day, April 22. The men and women of Xylem from around the globe will demonstrate their passion for solving global water issues by participating in a range of volunteer activities. From cleaning local water sources to teaching children how to monitor water quality to pledging to personally conserve water for 30 days, our colleagues will take actions, large and small, to provide clean water, raise awareness about the scarcity of water, and educate others on the importance of hygiene and sanitation. There are more than 68 volunteer events organized by our employees, including Walks for Water and Team Water Challenges, where Xylem colleagues will make their mark in their own communities. Here are a few examples from our sites around the world:
- Seaton Wetlands Cleanup (Devon, UK) protects the local watershed and marine ecosystem of the Seaton Wetlands through a variety of tasks to maintain and help upkeep of the area.
- Educate-to-Innovate Classroom Visits (Lemon Grove, CA) teaches students about the importance of clean water, how Xylem is involved in analyzing the quality of water, and pathways to STEM careers.
- Watermark Lunch ‘n Learn (Vantaa, Finland) raises awareness among colleagues on the latest information about the global water crisis through an interactive presentation and fundraiser to support the Xylem Watermark Fund.
- Seneca Falls Water Days (Seneca Falls, NY) explores the difficulties of what it means to live with limited access to water with team competitions to collect baskets of “water” and fundraising to build water cisterns in Argentina.
- Walk for Water (Nova Lima, Brazil) demonstrates the hardship of women and children who walk miles to collect water every day by sharing the experience of walking to the Rego dos Carrapatos Waterfall with water jugs before returning to the office.
- Project24 (Colombia, Indonesia, and the Philippines) provides fresh, clean water to schools that previously did not have access to safe water and sanitation through building 10,000 gallon water towers with global nonprofit partner, Planet Water Foundation.
The “Make Your Mark 30-Day Challenge” exemplifies our passion and Xylem’s culture of engagement and volunteerism. This sense of shared purpose is what drives us as individual contributors and as an organization as we invest our time, energy and resources in our communities across the world. We are excited to share this fervor with those around us. Together, we can make our mark on World Water Day – we can solve water.
Colin Sabol, Xylem Senior Vice President, President Analytics and Treatment, and Chairman Xylem Watermark Committee
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services, and agricultural settings. With its October 2016 acquisition of Sensus, Xylem added smart metering, network technologies and advanced data analytics for water, gas and electric utilities to its portfolio of solutions. The combined Company’s nearly 16,000 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2016 revenue of $3.8 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
About Xylem Watermark
Xylem Watermark, Xylem’s corporate citizenship program, provides and protects safe water resources for many of the world’s most vulnerable communities and educates individuals around the globe about water issues. This social commitment reflects Xylem’s ethos of valuing the “triple bottom-line”: financial, environmental and social. The company firmly believes in the notion of doing well by doing good, and dedicates resources to initiatives that demonstrate its commitment.
Xylem Watermark was founded in 2008 and, with its six nonprofit partners, has provided clean water and sanitation solutions to over three million people in 25 countries. Xylem launched its first Global Month of Service in October 2016 to provide a focused time to inspire employees to get involved and bring the mission of Xylem Watermark to their communities. This World Water Day, Xylem Watermark launches the Make Your Mark 30 Day Challenge to engage employees in solving global and local water issues in ways that they are passionate about.
To learn more about Xylem Watermark, please visit www.xylemwatermark.com.
Links to Related Information: