UN Global Compact Bulletin (June 2018)
The UN Global Compact Bulletin is designed to keep participants up to date on news, actions you can take, resources and events. Participants are encouraged to look to this monthly communication for important information. Please note that actions and events are intended for Global Compact stakeholders, unless otherwise indicated. The Bulletin is published in English, French, Spanish and Chinese.
The search is on for the 2018 Class of SDG Pioneers. Are you a business leader making exceptional progress towards the Global Goals? Apply or nominate an SDG Pioneer by 22 June 2018.
NEWS & UPDATES
Reflecting upon the current outlook on gender equality, Lise Kingo writes that despite important progress on gender, studies show that the gender gap is, in fact, widening for the first time in over a decade. Earlier this year, a new report estimated that it will take 100 years to close the gender gap, compared to 83 years previously.
She calls on business leaders to make decisive steps to empower women and proactively close the gender gap across all touch points in society, "we need to spark a gender revolution and change the rules of the game, and business has to lead."
Are you on Instagram? Follow @globalcompact for a visual exploration into our work to spread the principles and values of the United Nations throughout the global business community.
LOCAL NETWORK NEWS
- Economy and Sustainability in Colombia: Global Compact Local Network VIII Annual Congress
- Global Compact Network Brazil 15th Anniversary Forum: The Importance of Integrating the Sustainable Development Goals into Business Strategy
The search is on at the UN Global Compact for the 2018 class of SDG Pioneers — business leaders who are doing an exceptional job of advancing the Sustainable Development Goals.
Tackling the ocean challenge is a global imperative, and the private sector can play a significant role in ensuring this crucial resource is sustainably managed.
Launched on World Oceans Day, the UN Global Compact Sustainable Ocean Business Action Platform will focus on growth, innovation and sustainability, exploring how to best protect the health of the ocean.
Water challenges increasingly pose a significant risk to both business and society. This risk is only expected to increase — by 2025, two-thirds of the world’s population will be living in water-stressed areas.
The UN Global Compact Water Security through Stewardship Action Platform will push the needle forward on cutting-edge thinking and multi-stakeholder collective action that demonstrates impact for water security.
- 17 July: UN High-Level Political Forum (UNHQ)
- 24 Sep: UN Global Compact Leaders Summit 2018
- 8-12 Oct: International labour standards and corporate social responsibility (Turin)
- 26-28 Nov: 2018 UN Forum on Business and Human Rights (Geneva)
- 10-11 Dec: The Intergovernmental Conference to Adopt the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (Morocco)