#AskTt Twitter Chat: Advancing Economic Growth Through the Agriculture Sector
Join @TetraTechIntDev on September 19, 2017, at 9:00 AM PT/12:00 PM ET/7:00 PM EAT for an #AskTt Twitter Chat on Advancing Economic Growth through the Agriculture Sector
Sep 19, 2017 8:00 AM ET
September 19, 2017 /3BL Media/ - Join @TetraTechIntDev on September 19, 2017, at 9:00 AM PT/12:00 PM ET/7:00 PM EAT for an #AskTt Twitter Chat on Advancing Economic Growth through the Agriculture Sector, hosted by Tetra Tech International Development Services, and co-hosted by the USAID Feed the Future Uganda Agricultural (Ag) Inputs Activity.
This month’s Twitter Chat will take place following the Activity’s Close-out Learning Event, to give users an opportunity to explore how to leverage the agricultural sector to stimulate economic growth, while addressing climate variability, women’s empowerment, and youth engagement. Join us for a live chat with Ag Inputs’ Chief of Party Rita Laker Ojok, who has more than 30 years’ experience in Uganda, and will discuss lessons learned and recommendations for the future of Uganda’s agricultural inputs sector.
Agriculture is the main source of income for more than 60 percent of poor households in Uganda and more than 89 percent of the country’s labor force is involved in the sector. Average yields have been stagnant or dropped over the last decade due to the changing climate, increasing population pressure, and decreasing soil fertility.
How can we grow an economy that is largely dependent on agriculture, while at the same time reducing poverty?
The Uganda Ag Inputs Activity serves as a case-study, highlighting ways to achieve systemic change by using a market systems facilitation approach that prioritizes sustainability and scale. What lessons from the Ag Inputs Activity can be used to stimulate similar growth in other agricultural economies?
- Empowering and Engaging Youth
- Why is it important to engage youth in economic growth activities?
- Are there any proven methods for engaging youth in both rural and urban agricultural sectors?
- Achieving Gender Equity
- What role do women play in the agriculture industry? Why are women important to the agriculture industry?
- What role do women play in food security and nutrition for their families? Why are women important to food security and nutrition?
- Climate Variability
- How is climate variability affecting Uganda’s agricultural sector?
- What is a climate change champion? Why are they important business models?
- How can farmers adapt to changing climates and weather patterns?
- What are the biggest challenges for farmers, especially those in rural areas?
How to Participate
- Sign in to Twitter.com (if you do not have a Twitter account, quickly sign up so you can join your first Twitter chat)
- Read the guiding questions that will be discussed during the Twitter Chat
- Join the discussion by using the #AskTt hashtag and following @TetraTechIntDev
- Follow us on Twubs or just track us on Twitter via #AskTt
Note: Anyone who uses the #AskTt at the set day and time is considered a Twitter chat participant! Spread the word! Tweet #AskTt.