#DisruptMining Continues to Accelerate the Pace of Change in Mining
September 18, 2018 /3BL Media/ - Goldcorp is pleased to announce the third annual #DisruptMining innovation challenge and live finale event will be presented on Sunday, March 3, 2019 during the annual Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) conference in Toronto, Canada.
- Goldcorp and presenting sponsor KPMG will co-host the 2019 #DisruptMining innovation expo and "shark-tank" style live event at the Rebel Entertainment Complex
- Technology disruptors are encouraged to submit their ideas for a chance to pitch to senior mining, technology and finance leaders in front of a live audience of mining influencers and decision-makers
- Winning disruptor(s) can earn an opportunity to negotiate up to $1 million investment* from Goldcorp, one of the world's most innovative gold producers
- Net proceeds from the #DisruptMining finale event will support innovation-focused scholarships and community-building initiatives
- Spark your imagination with the #DisruptMining launch video
- Deadline for Submissions: November 5, 2018
Now in its third year as a catalyst for change in mining, the #DisruptMining innovation challenge has a track record of encouraging new ideas, identifying new opportunities and helping to accelerate the growth of new companies tackling challenges in mining in new and different ways. Innovators and entrepreneurs are encouraged to submit their ideas for a chance to pitch in front of a live audience of over 500 industry leaders and a "shark-tank" style panel of cross-industry titans. The winner(s) will have the opportunity to negotiate up to $1 million investment* for a proof of concept at one of Goldcorp's mines or direct investment in the winning technologies.
"The mining industry today is collaborating and investing in technology and innovation like never before. We have digitized, automated and applied new technologies to various aspects of the mining life cycle, but our industry needs to accelerate the cycle of innovation even more to stay competitive, deliver greater value to shareholders and be best prepared for our future," said Todd White, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at Goldcorp. "Goldcorp is amongst the most innovative companies in the gold business, and we see #DisruptMining as a catalyst that helps us identify and champion new ideas, new partnerships, new technologies and new thinkers. At least seven of our #DisruptMining alumni have launched to new levels. We believe there are a lot more great ideas out there, and we're ready to help make them happen."
Following the 2018 #DisruptMining challenge, winner Acoustic Zoom, an advanced geophysics company specializing in innovative seismic solutions, secured a $1 million investment in its business from Goldcorp and launched a $150,000 pilot program at Goldcorp's Red Lake Gold Mines in Ontario. Other #DisruptMining alumni including: Enviroleach, LlamaZoo, Open Mineral, Bio-Mine, Cementation, Goldspot Discoveries, KORE Geosystems and Tradewind Markets have transformed their rogue ideas, become established start-ups, substantially evolved their services and operations, or have scaled their leading-edge technology solutions.
"DisruptMining was truly a catalyst for our business and put us on the world stage," said Prof. Jacques Guigné, Chief Executive Officer, Acoustic Zoom. "We now have multiple international contracts with major mining companies and have accelerated the development of our technology with further innovations, in addition to building our ability to service with a growing equipment portfolio."
Call for Disruptors across all industries
#DisruptMining offers entrepreneurs a platform to bring disruptive and exponential technologies to the sector, whether it's unlocking exploration opportunities; finding operational and production efficiencies; reducing the environmental footprint and delivering on sustainability commitments; or developing alternative ways to finance capital projects.
Any innovator interested in pitching their idea at the #DisruptMining innovation expo and "shark-tank" style live event is encouraged to submit an application. Full application details and requirements can be found at: www.disruptmining.com. Submissions will be accepted until November 5, 2018 at 11:59 pm EST. Late submissions will not be accepted.
#DisruptMining 2019 Submission Categories:
- Mining Transformation: Operate and manage mines with increased productivity.
- Metallurgy Transformation:Decrease the mass, energy, water and chemical intensity required in metallurgical processes .
- Sustainability Transformation: Move Towards Zero Water and sustainable energy usage.
- Digital Transformation: Create digital intelligence with new applications and integrated interfaces.
- Geology Transformation: Improve mineral mapping and measurement.
- "Go Rogue": An idea so out-of-the-box it deserves its own category.
#DisruptMining Innovation Expo
The #DisruptMining Innovation Expo will showcase the semi-finalists and other game-changing innovators who will demonstrate how they can help the mining industry accelerate the pace of technological advancement.
"Shark-Tank" Style Live Finale
Finalists will pitch their competing innovations to a "shark-tank" style panel of cross-industry titans and the winner will have the opportunity to negotiate up to $1 million* in investment for a proof of concept at one of Goldcorp's mines or direct investment in the winning technologies. More than 500 mining executives, investors and financiers will be in attendance, each looking for that one revolutionary idea that will get them to the future of mining, faster.
Partner with #DisruptMining Challenge
Are you committed to championing innovation in the mining industry? Would you like to be showcased at the #DisruptMining Challenge, one of Canada's largest gatherings for mining innovation? To learn how to become a sponsor of this trailblazing challenge and event, please e-mail email@example.com or connect on social media via #DisruptMining.
Proceeds from the #DisruptMining finale event will invest in the future of the mining industry through innovation-focused scholarships.
#DisruptMining Challenge Timeline
- Monday, November 5, 2018: Deadline for submissions.
- Friday, December 14, 2018: Selected disruptors notified.
- Sunday, March 3, 2019: #DisruptMining Innovation Expo and Live Finale
For more information and to review full submission details, please visit: www.disruptmining.com