From USA to France and From UK to Mexico, Bacardi Diverts Global Production to Increase Hand Sanitizer Supply for Local Communities
HAMILTON, Bermuda, March 25, 2020 /3BL Media/ – Family-owned Bacardi has expanded its commitment across countries and brands to help produce more than 267,000 gallons (1.1 million liters) of hand sanitizers, as worldwide demand continues to exceed supply in efforts to reduce the risk of COVID-19. This week, eight Bacardi-owned manufacturing sites across the United States, Mexico, France, England, Italy and Scotland are joining the efforts, following last week’s announcement that Bacardi in Puerto Rico would supply alcohol to make hand sanitizers. Across the sites, Bacardi is diverting its global production power, resources and processes to supply the much-needed alcohol essential for the increased production of hand sanitizers.
Bacardi is also playing a part in donating these products to local organizations and emergency responders, as well as its employees and contractors. In addition, the company is providing alcohol at cost to select partner companies looking to ramp up their production of hand sanitizers for commercial sale. These temporary, emergency actions at all locations will not disrupt the supply of brands in the Bacardi portfolio.
“Over our 158-year history, we have risen to many challenges and we are doing the same again in response to COVID-19,” said Jean-Marc Lambert, SVP Global Operations for Bacardi. “All our brands and partners involved in this initiative will help people most in need benefit from the supply of these hand sanitizers. Our goal is to make a very real difference in the fight against COVID-19.”
The current list of sites providing support either immediately or in the coming week are:
- BACARDÍ rum in Puerto Rico – partnered with Puerto Rico based manufacturer Olein Refinery to provide raw materials that will enable the production of more than 1.7M units of 10-ounce (300 ml) hand sanitizers. Donated product to local USPS, firefighters, police and non-profit Somos Unidos (United Way);
- Bacardi Bottling Corporation in Jacksonville, FL, USA – is planning to help produce approximately 23,000 gallons (87,000 liters) to make 120,000 units of 25-ounce (750 ml) bottles hand sanitizer for donation to local hospitals, firefighters and police. In addition, the team will supply 7,600 gallons (29,000 liters) to nearby manufacturers.
- BACARDÍ rum in Tultitlán, Mexico – supplying more than 5,200 gallons (20,000 liters) of alcohol to nearby manufacturer, Grupo Sterk, to help increase production of hand sanitizer by approximately 6,300 gallons (24,000 liters), of which 2,100 gallons (8,000 liters) will be donated by Bacardi to local communities in Tultitlán, Arandas and Atotonilco;
- GREY GOOSE® vodka in Cognac, France – will supply 7,600 gallons (29,000 liters) of alcohol per day to French companies to increase supply of hand sanitizers by 9,500 gallons (36,000 liters) for local pharmacies, hospitals and the emergency services;
- BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin in Hampshire, England – is helping to produce a small quantity of hand sanitizers that will be donated to local doctors, chemists and care homes;
- MARTINI in Pessione, Italy – is supplying alcohol for the production of 1,000 7-ounce (200ml) hand sanitizers for the local community, Red Cross and local emergency services;
- DEWAR’S® Blended Scotch Whisky in Aberfeldy, Scotland – is helping to produce a small quantity of hand sanitizers for the Scottish Ambulance Association among other local community groups;
- ANGEL’S ENVY® Kentucky Straight Bourbon in Louisville, KY, USA – is supplying nearly 1,000 gallons (3,800 liters) of alcohol to create approximately 16,000 8-ounce (250 ml) bottles of free hand sanitizers for first responders and healthcare professionals.
All hand sanitizers produced in collaboration with Bacardi contain more than the minimum alcohol content recommended by the World Health Organization for containing the spread of the virus.
The Bacardi Limited brand portfolio comprises more than 200 brands and labels, including BACARDÍ® rum, GREY GOOSE® vodka, PATRÓN® tequila, DEWAR’S® Blended Scotch whisky, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin, MARTINI® vermouth and sparkling wines, CAZADORES® 100% blue agave tequila, and other leading and emerging brands including WILLIAM LAWSON’S® Scotch whisky, ST-GERMAIN® elderflower liqueur, and ERISTOFF® vodka. Founded more than 158 years ago in Santiago de Cuba, family-owned Bacardi Limited currently employs more than 7,000, operates production facilities in 11 countries, and sells its brands in more than 170 countries. Bacardi Limited refers to the Bacardi group of companies, including Bacardi International Limited. Visit www.bacardilimited.com or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or Instagram.