Green Builder Media Announces Winners of the 7th Annual Home of the Year Awards
SEATTLE, Wash., December 15, 2014 /3BL Media/ - Green Builder Media, recently announced the winners of its 7th Annual Green Builder Home of the Year Awards. A total of nine projects were selected to represent this year’s best green projects chosen by judges in a completely online process.
This year’s Grand Overall Winner, Desert Rain, is located in Bend, Ore., and strives to become the first residential project in the U.S. to meet the rigorous requirements of the Living Building Challenge (LBC). Almost a year into their design process, Tom Elliott and Barbara Scott learned about LBC and were sold. “We believe our communities will not be saved by heroic feats of technology, or design, or government intervention,” says Elliott. “Ultimately, our choices in the world are a personal matter, and the future will be insured only through countless individual acts of forbearance, care and innovation.”
Resilience, building science and affordability proved they are still on the forefront of green building as the other projects recognized include:
- Bellasol at Rosecrest—Herriman, Utah (Best Resilient Design)
- Karuna House—Newberg, Ore. (Best Building Science)
- Grow Community—Bainbridge Island, Wash. (Best Community Project)
- The Charleston Lowcountry Charm Home—Johns Island, S.C. (Best Alternative Structure)
- Honda Smart Home US—Davis, Calif. (Best Demonstration Home)
- Stream Belmont—Seattle, Wash. (Best Infill Project)
- River Falls Eco-Village—River Falls, Wis. (Best Affordable Project)
- Pumpkin Ridge Passive House—North Plains, Ore. (Best Mainstream Green)
“With each new edition of these awards the job for the judges gets harder and harder since the entries demonstrate the determination of those who choose to lead the building industry into higher levels of sustainable results,” says Green Builder Media President, Ron Jones. “All those who entered and especially those who the judges chose to recognize are to be congratulated for their outstanding projects and commended for continuing to raise the bar for our entire industry.”
Read more about these award-winning homes in the December 2014 issue of Green Builder magazine.
This year’s judging panel included:
- Les Wold, managing partner of Effect Home Builders in Edmonton, Canada, who design and build net zero energy homes in a northern climate and are known for their building science expertise.
- Robert Bulechek, a RESNET HERS Energy Rater, EPA Energy Star 3 Rater, BPI Building Analyst Pro, BPI Building Envelope Pro, BPI AC & Heat Pump Pro, Energy Efficiency Consultant and a Level I Thermographer.
- Paul Poirier of Paul Poirier + Associates, a licensed architect in California, Nevada, and Alabama and a member of the AIA California Council’s Committee on the Environment.
- Bruce Hammond, CEO of Hammond and Company, a construction services and development company focused on identifying and utilizing construction technologies and practices that minimize environmental impact.
About Green Builder Magazine
Green Builder® magazine is the building industry’s leading magazine focused on green building and sustainable development. Green Builder offers practical, cost-effective information to a community of the most advanced building professionals across the country. The magazine’s nationally award winning editorial team blends top-quality visionary content with sophisticated design to generate an unforgettable publication that addresses the most important issues of our time.
About Green Builder Media
Green Builder® Media, LLC is the leading media company in North America focused on green building and sustainable living. With a comprehensive suite of print and digital media solutions, demonstration projects, case studies, online training, and live events, Green Builder Media assists building professionals in preparing themselves for the new green economy and helps homeowners understand how to live more sustainably.