MetLife Named to the 2017 Dow Jones Sustainability Index
NEW YORK, September 13, 2017 /3BL Media/ - MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET) today announced that it has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), a widely-recognized standard for corporate responsibility that tracks leading sustainability-driven companies.
DJSI scores companies based on their management of a variety of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues: corporate governance, risk management, branding and reputation, climate change mitigation, supply chain standards and labor practices. MetLife was eligible for the DJSI North America, which recognizes a group of the top 20 percent of sustainability performers across the 600 largest U.S. and Canadian companies. MetLife was one of only seven insurers in North America to make the list.
“MetLife is committed to delivering value for all of its stakeholders,” said Steve Kandarian, MetLife’s chairman, president and chief executive officer. “We are proud to be recognized by DJSI for the important steps we are taking to be a more sustainable company.”
MetLife’s inclusion on the DJSI North America Index comes on top of recent notable ESG achievements:
- Recognized with a Climate Leadership Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for the company’s ambitious greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals. MetLife pledged to become carbon neutral by the end of 2016, a goal we have achieved.
- Received a grade of “A minus” from CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project) for reporting and management of climate issues. This rating places MetLife in CDP’s top quartile “Leadership” category among financial services providers.
- Named to the Bloomberg Financial Services Gender-Equality Index.
- Recognized by Deloitte and the Alliance for Board Diversity for having one of the most diverse boards of any company in the Fortune 500.
- MetLife and MetLife Foundation made $48 million in grants in 2016, including $30 million for financial inclusion efforts that help low-income individuals and families get access to safe and affordable financial products and services.
For more information on MetLife commitment to corporate responsibility, visit www.MetLifeGlobalImpact.com.
MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET), through its subsidiaries and affiliates (“MetLife”), is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. For more information, visit www.metlife.com.