Points of Light Releases The Civic 50 2019 Key Trends and Insights Report
ATLANTA, October 2, 2019 /3BL Media/– Points of Light, a global nonprofit dedicated to accelerating people-powered change, released The Civic 50 report featuring key trends, benchmarking data and insights from the 2019 honorees. The Civic 50 honorees are public and private companies with U.S. operations and revenues of at least $1 billion, and are selected based on four dimensions of their U.S. community engagement program – investment of resources, integration across business functions, institutionalization through policies and systems and impact measurement.
Points of Light will also host a webinar on Friday, Oct. 4, at 2 p.m. ET to take a deep dive into the findings and discuss emerging trends in the corporate citizenship sector. All registrants will receive the first copies of the report.
“At Points of Light, we believe that companies, their employees and partners can be drivers of transformative social change in communities around the world,” said Natalye Paquin, president and CEO, Points of Light. “This year’s report shows that companies are making community support an increasing priority across the organization, not just in their community relations departments, and making sure their efforts drive sustained impact. We hope this report serves as a guide for other companies to find ways of deeper, lasting engagement.”
Key Statistics and Highlights from The Civic 50 2019 Honorees:
- Generous giving. On average, The Civic 50 companies donate more than twice as much as other U.S. companies: $283,000 for every $10 million in revenue earned, as opposed to $130,000 (per CECP’s 2018 Giving in Numbers).
- Increasingly sophisticated investments. Grants are getting more integrated. Nearly 50 percent of The Civic 50 companies make multi-faceted investments where their grants are providing additional support through volunteerism, in-kind goods, or multi-year pledges.
- Board-level involvement. The vast majority (86 percent) of The Civic 50 companies include community involvement in the agenda of at least one board meeting a year.
- Performance reviews and goal setting. Sixty-two percent of The Civic 50 companies include community engagement in performance reviews, and 86 percent include it in department goals.
- Public leadership. Sixty-eight percent of The Civic 50 companies take national leadership positions on at least six public policy issues.
- Business impact and outcome measurement. The Civic 50 companies also measure the outcomes from integrating their community involvement with other business functions. More than half of the companies measure the outcomes of this integration with employee engagement, marketing/PR, and diversity and inclusion.
Since 2011, The Civic 50 has provided a national standard for superior corporate citizenship and showcased how companies can use their time, skills and other resources to improve the quality of life in the communities where they do business. The Civic 50 survey is administered by True Impact, a company specializing in helping organizations maximize and measure their social and business value and analyzed by VeraWorks. The survey instrument consists of quantitative and multiple-choice questions that inform The Civic 50 scoring process. The Civic 50 is the only survey and ranking system that exclusively measures corporate involvement in communities. For more information, please visit www.civic50.org.
About Points of Light
Points of Light is a global nonprofit organization that inspires, equips and mobilizes millions of people to take action that changes the world. We envision a world in which every individual discovers the power to make a difference, creating healthy communities in vibrant, participatory societies. Through affiliates in 200 cities across 37 countries, and in partnership with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages 5 million volunteers in 14 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people to bear where it’s needed most. For more information, go to www.pointsoflight.org.
About True Impact
True Impact provides web-based tools and consulting support to help organizations measure the social, financial, and environmental return on investment (ROI) of their programs and operations. For more information, visit www.trueimpact.com.
VeraWorks is a global consulting firm that helps managers and companies offer employees the opportunity to do societal good through their everyday jobs. For more information, visit www.veraworks.com.