ReportAlert.info - Merck (NYSE:MRK) Publishes 2011 Corporate Responsibility Report
(3BL Media) September 12, 2012 - Merck launches 2011 Corporate Responsibility Report
This week, the global healthcare leader Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, launched its 2011 global corporate responsibility report. The online report and detailed information are available at www.merckresponsibility.com.
The report outlines Merck's approach to corporate responsibility and reviews performance and activities within the four areas that the company identified as critical to its business: Access to Health, Environmental Sustainability, Employees, and Ethics and Transparency. Readers will find metrics related to each area as well as data for a set of key performance indicators that Merck announced in its 2010 report.
In addition to the online comprehensive report, Merck published a high-level overview with highlights of activities and initiatives undertaken during 2011.
2011 highlights include:
- Establishing a new Asian R&D headquarters, located in Beijing, focused on innovative drug discovery and development
- Joining the global effort to reduce maternal mortality by launching Merck for Mothers
- Signing on to the CEO Water Mandate, an initiative of the UN Global Compact designed to assist companies in the development, implementation and disclosure of water-sustainability policies and practices
- Launching the Richard T. Clark Fellowship program, a new global program designed to leverage the skills and talents of Merck employees to build and support humanitarian organizations that meet the health needs of the underserved
- Establishing a new Human Rights Policy consistent with international standards and Merck's strong historical commitment to human rights
Merck continues to use several external guidelines and measurement frameworks to guide its reporting, including the Global Reporting Initiative, the 10 principles of the UN Global Compact, the UN Millennium Development Goals and the Access to Medicine Index.
Today's Merck is a global healthcare leader, working to help the world be well. Through its prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and consumer care and animal health products, the company works with customers and operates in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions. Merck also demonstrates its commitment to increasing access to healthcare through far-reaching policies, programs and partnerships.
To view the comprehensive report or to order copies of Merck's "2011 Corporate Responsibility Highlights," visit www.merckresponsibility.com.
Forward Looking Statement: www.merckresponsibility.com/