NRG Energy 2021 Sustainability Report: Our Journey
We continue to make progress on our goal of being net-zero by 2050.
We are committed to positively affecting the communities where we live and work. Our responsibility to reduce the environmental footprint of our operations helps us ensure the long-term reliability, competitiveness, and success of NRG. These efforts include providing sustainable energy solutions to customers, optimizing generation, reducing our carbon footprint, leveraging cleaner energy technologies, and supporting the advancement of our employees through health, safety, and professional growth initiatives.
AWARDS AND ACCOLADES
Achieving real progress toward sustainability and carbon-reduction goals drives us—along with helping our customers to do the same. Still, outside recognition is always gratifying.
- Newsweek Most Responsible Companies 2021
- Forbes Green Growth 50
- Forbes Global 2000 2021
- Forbes America’s Best Mid-sized Employers 2021
- Sustainability, Environmental Achievement, and Leadership Business Sustainability Award
- Climate Leadership Award for Excellence in Greenhouse Gas Management
- Forum of Executive Women Champion of Board Diversity
- Platinum PR Award - Investor Relations
- C-suite Sustainability Champion 2021
- ALLY Energy GRIT (Growth, Resilience, Innovation, and Talent) Award for Climate and Sustainability Champion
- Innovation Leader Impact Award (Reliant)
- North American Customer Centricity Awards (Reliant)
- First and only power company in North America with 1.5 degree Celsius-aligned climate goal validated by Science Based Targets initiative
- A- Leadership Level in CDP Supplier Engagement for the fifth year in a row
Learn more about NRG Energy's commitments to sustainability, download the 2021 Sustainability report here.
1Diversity: 36% gender, 27% ethnic Total Case Incident Rate
2Total Case Incident Rate
3VPP = Occupational Safety and Health Administration Voluntary Protection Programs that recognize employers and workers who have implemented effective safety and health management systems and maintain injury and illness rates below national Bureau of Labor Statistics averages for their respective industries. NRG is part of the electric power generation, transmission, and distribution industry. The "Star" designation is the highest of three levels. VPP facilities are NRG owned or operated as of December 31, 2021. Only facilities owned by NRG are included in all sustainability metrics.