Socially Responsible Investing: A Global Perspective
by Amy Domini, Founder and Chair of Domini Impact Investments (Amy is widely recognized as the leading voice for socially responsible investing.)
Globally, socially responsible investing is flourishing. Almost as importantly, it means the same thing around the world. I begin with some recent quotes, which I noted over the past few weeks:
• Datuk Muhamad Umar Swift, CEO of Bursa Malaysia, “As a frontline regulator and market operator, we want to provide an environment that encourages sustainable practices among our market participants.”
• Shenzhen-based Ping An has developed an ESG ratings framework it says is “suited to China” that “builds on the ESG compliance disclosure requirements of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (HKEX) and the Shanghai Stock Exchange, as well as international guidelines.”
• Saudi Arabia’s stock exchange, TADAWUL aims to launch an ESG index by the beginning of 2021.
• “I perceive a sense of urgency on mainstreaming sustainable finance,” said Marcos Ayerra, chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission of Argentina
• The New Zealand Government has announced bold new plans to prevent default providers of its ‘opt-in’ retirement provision, KiwiSavers, from investing in fossil fuels.
After my book, "Socially Responsible Investing", was translated into Japanese, Korean and Chinese, I travelled to financial centers in each of those countries and spoke out for this way of investing. We are advocating for this approach because we believe that only an engaged investor class can prevent complete collapse of the fragile ecology of our planet, and provide universal dignity to all people.
Read Amy's full article here - https://greenmoney.com/socially-responsible-investing-a-global-perspective
Winner of 6 awards over the last 3 years, GreenMoney Journal ,continues its 28th year of publishing on ESG Investing and Sustainable Business.