Tlaxcala Team Takes Action, Named One of Owens Corning's 2021 Top Volunteers
The Owens Corning Foundation announces the Volunteer of the Year honorees for 2021.
Honorees direct a $10,000 donation from the Owens Corning Foundation to a charity of their choice. Applications for three categories of Volunteer of the Year (Employee, Employee Team, and Retiree) were reviewed by a panel of judges from around the world. The decisions were based on the volunteers’ involvement and commitment, and the impact on the organizations they serve.
About 20 employees from the Tlaxcala Composites plant assisted the Mexican Red Cross with COVID-19 relief efforts in the communities surrounding the plant.
- Bought and distributed cleaning and disinfecting products for seven local Red Cross agencies.
- Donated fuel for ambulances used to transfer COVID-19 patients.
- Purchased and donated personal protective equipment for medical staff on the front line.
- Organized eight webinars for the general public about ways to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Designed and implemented a pilot program for psychological first aid, aimed at medical staff treating COVID-19 patients.
- Donated biohazard transportation capsules.
- Delivered COVID-19 trainings in five Tlaxcala communities.
- Assisted with the Red Cross Solidarity Supply Program. Local fruit and vegetable producers, who struggled to sell their products during the pandemic, sold their goods at OC sites.
Also during 2020, the Tlaxcala team completed the second stage of construction for the IBAIS school for the deaf. The construction was finished during COVID-19 lockdown, when no in-person classes were held. However, the new building provided a decent space where teachers and coaches prepared dynamic classes and stayed in contact with their students through technology.