Making Better Essential for People AND the Planet
By Karla Robertson, Executive Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary & Chief Social Responsibility Officer
I’m excited and proud to share Pentair’s 2021 Corporate Responsibility Report.
At Pentair, we are energized by innovating with sustainability in mind. The decisions we make, the products we create, the solutions we offer and the partnerships we form are opportunities to make the planet better. We take this responsibility seriously as we believe that making life better for people and our planet is essential.
From membrane technologies that reduce, reuse and recover water, to pool products that use less energy and fewer chemicals, to our sustainable gas business that is working with global beverage and food industries to create new solutions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and turn waste into value, our products and solutions help people and communities live happier, healthier lives.
Together, we have an opportunity to make the planet better. We also have the opportunity to positively impact people – from our employees and those of our suppliers to the quality of life in the communities in which we operate. We are grounded in our purpose to make lives better by inspiring people to move, improve, and enjoy life’s essential resources.
In 2021, we announced ambitious Social Responsibility Targets focused on areas that matter to our employees, our customers and our shareholders to advance the positive impact of our business. Our 2021 CR Report is an important milestone; in it we share our progress against these targets and on our mission to provide smart, sustainable solutions that make life’s essential resources better – for people and our planet. Highlights include:
- Carbon Footprint Reduction Progress Highlights: Pentair’s total Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in 2021 decreased 11.8% compared to the 2019 baseline.
- Water Reduction Progress Highlights: In 2021, Pentair’s absolute water withdrawal increased 12% compared to the 2019 baseline due to organic growth. Water withdrawal intensity decreased 5%.
- Progress Design for Sustainability Progress Highlights: In 2021, Pentair enhanced its product innovation process for increased focus on environmental sustainability by developing a product sustainability scorecard. This scorecard is now integrated as a standard component in its product commercialization process.
- Responsible Supply Chain Progress Highlights: In 2021, Pentair enhanced its Supplier Code of Conduct (the “Supplier Code”), placing an increased focus on social and environmental issues and how suppliers manage ESG risks within their operations and supply chain. Pentair then launched this enhanced Supplier Code to the company’s global supply base.
- Inclusion & Diversity Progress Highlights: Pentair increased representation of women in its workforce to 32% (from 30% in 2019), and women in leadership positions increased to 31% (from 28% in 2019) in 2021. The company increased U.S. people of color (POC) representation to 43% (from 39% in 2019) of its U.S. workforce and 26% (from 23% in 2019) of its U.S. leadership positions.
I’m very proud of what we accomplished this past year to advance Pentair’s sustainability strategy. We could not have done any of this important work without our very engaged and committed employees. Our employees inspire and energize me every day and it’s through their efforts that Pentair can deliver a positive impact for our stakeholders and our planet.
I am grateful to our employees, Board of Directors, customers, and all of our stakeholders, for their continued support. Together, we have an opportunity to make life’s essential resources better, for people and our planet. To learn more, you can read our full report here.