Three Daily Quality of Lifehacks to Save on Holiday Calories
Tis the season! This means dazzling Christmas light displays, countless hours of holiday shopping, and joyous festivities with coworkers, families and friends. It’s also a time for delicious holiday foods, like eggnog, fruitcake, pecan pie, sweet potato casserole and turkey with all the trimmings. While the season is filled with holiday cheer and celebrations, it’s also a time when many of us overindulge and fill up on too many calories.
In fact, the average person can consume as much as 7,000 calories on Christmas Day alone, well above the estimated number of calories we need each day. Whether you plan to enjoy holiday foods on Christmas Day or throughout the season, here are three Quality of Lifehacks to help you avoid the holiday calorie crush without losing the holiday spirit!
- Swap one cup of eggnog (340 calories) for one glass of sparkling water (0 calories) = 340 calorie savings
- Swap one slice (1/8) of pecan pie (480 calories) for one slice (1/8) of pumpkin pie (315 calories) = 165 calorie savings
- Swap one cup of sweet potato casserole (400 calories) or green bean casserole (300 calories) for one cup of sautéed green beans (70 calories) = 230 – 330 calorie savings
These three swaps can save over 700 calories during one holiday meal! Here are other simple food swaps that can help you reduce calories during the holidays or any other day of the year.
- Swap one can of cola (140 calories) for a glass of water (0 calories) = 140 calorie savings
- Swap one bag of chips (150 calories) for a bag of baby carrots (5 calories) = 145 calorie savings
- Swap one slice of cheese pizza (260 calories) for one grilled fish filet such as salmon or tilapia (125 calories) = 135 calorie savings
Share in the comments on Sodexo Insights how you will eat healthy this holiday season.