BCBS Gives $350M to Community Health Initiatives
(3BL Media/Justmeans) – The corporate responsibility to invest in health can extend much beyond the workplace. Quality of health has a direct relationship with the local communities where people live, work, play, and learn. Some researchers have also found a connection between the health of a company’s employees and the health of the community where it operates its business.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS) is continuing to invest locally, focusing on community health programs and tackling challenges such as chronic disease and access to primary care. In 2015, BCBS companies across the country donated nearly $350 million to community health initiatives, according to the company’s eighth annual Investing in America’s Health report.
The commitment of BCBS in 2015 was further boosted by the passion of its employees nationwide who volunteered nearly 400,000 hours and gave more than $10 million dollars in personal donations – all dedicated to making a difference in the local communities.
Some of the important community health actions at BCBS in 2015 included:
- Mobile health clinics reaching underserved urban and rural areas
- Free clinics and screenings offering both primary care and specialists
- Vision and dental health procedures
- Curriculums that integrate healthy lifestyle choices into the school day
- Movement and learning programs that keep students active and engaged
- Gardens where kids can plant, grow, harvest and taste fruits and vegetables
- Distribution of naloxone to local law enforcement to help save lives
- Take-back program ensuring unused prescription medications are properly destroyed
- Launch of BCBS-led steering committee to help combat abuse and prevent addiction
According to Scott P. Serota, president and CEO for Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, the commitment of the BCBS companies and their employees to improving the health and wellness of the people they serve is unwavering. The company takes pride in building on it 87-year legacy as healthcare pioneers and trusted partners across the country and in every community.