Decent Work (SDG 8) is Good for Business: Learn from the Leaders, Collaborate with a Partner
This week, Global Sourcing Council's 17 Weeks for 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) explores SDG 8 with examples of corporate action for inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all.
The Global Challenge:
While the global labor force grows, employment is not keeping up. But even having a job is not enough; decent work is a must for sustained, inclusive, and sustainable growth. A lack of decent jobs, the ILO reports, “lead to an erosion of the basic social contract underlying democratic societies: that all must share in progress.”
The Business Opportunity:
Decent work is good for business, says the UN Global Compact. Improving workplace practices can raise morale and job satisfaction, and foster creativity and innovation. Upholding freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining can improve industrial relations and lower social auditing costs. Finally, taking action to reduce unemployment supports a more stable business environment.
WHAT IS DECENT WORK? [VIDEO]
Click Here to Find Examples of How to Make a Difference through Action on SDG 8 such as:
- Identify Employment Challenges in your Supply Chain – World Bank Economic Growth, Decent Work Country Profiles, Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), CIA World Factbook, UN’s Human Development Report, Know the Chain and ILO.
- Align your Workplace with New Requirements - Saint-Gobain, Halfords and Imperial Tobacco identified as “early movers”.
- Learn from Leaders Taking Action on SDG 8 – Accenture, Eileen Fisher and GrupoASSA.
- Amplify your Impact: Collaborate with NGOs and Other Companies - International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), United Way and Fair Factories Clearinghouse (FFC).
- Join the Sustainable Sourcing Community: Become a GSC Corporate Member or Individual Community Member to Drive Results.
- Highlight your Work for Growth and Employment in Sourcing: Apply Today for 2016 3S Awards - 2015 Winner for Impact Sourcing Award Video: AMBA and 2015 Nominee for Employee Engagement Award Video: Booomers International
- Participate in an Upcoming Event on Sustainable Business and SDGs
Contact us at the information below to learn how you can benefit by sharing your SDG story through our network.