NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises Launches 'Nuestras Finanzas' to Bring Financial Education Initiatives to the Latino Community
MIAMI, April 20, 2021 /3BL Media/ - NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises, the leading media company serving Hispanics in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, is celebrating Financial Literacy Month with the kickoff of Nuestras Finanzas (Our Finances), a national program designed to inform and encourage U.S. Hispanics to accelerate their financial freedom and success.
As part of Telemundo’s corporate social responsibility platform, El Poder en Ti (The Power in You), the new program will raise awareness about the importance of financial education, and offer assistance and resources to adolescents, adults and seniors. Additionally, Telemundo will provide financial education resources to small businesses through its award- winning Nuestros Negocios (Our Businesses) platform launched last year.
Nuestras Finanzas will include a Comcast-Telemundo partnership involving the donation of laptops to young people to support digital literacy and, together with CHASE Bank, the Network will host a 10-week series to help the community find ways to boost their financial health. Additionally, Nuestras Finanzas will offer multiplatform integrations featuring virtual talks, or “charlas,” a series of national phone banks, on-air and digital segments, town hall-style webinars with subject matter experts and social media campaigns. Partnerships with leading national organizations, including the Hispanic Heritage Foundation and United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, among others in the financial sector, will provide viewers with tools and resources in English and Spanish to help guide their personal finance management, budgeting and investing decisions.
In addition, CNBC Español will continue to feature segments on Tu Dinero es tu Futuro (Your Money is Your Future) and Informe (CNBC Report) to advise viewers of the latest business news and amplify resources available to plan for their financial future.
According to Telemundo insights, 33% of Hispanics describe their household finances have been impacted due to the COVID-19 crisis and six in ten report that information related to long-term financial planning (budgeting, retirement and building up credit) is key for them and their family. "Telemundo recognizes the importance of doing our part to help Latinos reach their goals," said Christina Kolbjornsen, SVP of Corporate and External Affairs. “Easy and accessible information and resources are vital to making financial stability, security and growth a reality for all after an unprecedented year.”
Details on the various initiatives include:
- April 14 – “Invest in You: Finding Your Financial Success.” CNBC, in partnership with NBCUAcademy, presented a live, virtual town hall event for college-level students providing lessons on the personal finance skills they will need to achieve financial independence as they pursue their degrees and future careers. To learn more, go to: https://www.cnbc.com/nbcuacademy.
- April 21 –“Who Wants to be a Millionaire: Saving for Your Future,” Telemundo’s multimedia educational institution, Telemundo Academy, will host a discussion for its students who are training to become the next generation of media leaders
- April 25 – Teach Children to Save Day. To celebrate Teach Children to Save Day, Comcast and Telemundo will partner to encourage financial and digital literacy for kids at an early age. Through its Internet Essentials program, Comcast will be donating 500 laptops and 12 months of free internet service throughout 2021 to young people to support digital literacy and access to financial literacy programming for kids in the community.
- April 28 – “Tax Season/Being Smart with Your Money,” Telemundo and CNBC will host “Tax Season/Being Smart with Your Money,” a discussion covering stimulus checks, the tax refund process, tax scams and the Earned Income Tax Credit.
- Telemundo will host a 10-week series with CHASE Bank to help the community find ways to boost their financial health. Telemundo talent and Chase experts will team up to reach Telemundo’s multi-platform audience through Hoy Día segments and Instagram live activations, where they will answer viewers’ questions about financial topics such as managing a budget, growing savings, building credit, helping build healthy financial habits for kids, and buying a home. Telemundo and Chase also will team up to offer content and tips and tools from the Chase Metas Financieras site about these topics via the Hoy Día homepage.
- As part of the Nuestras Finanzas program, Telemundo employees will also have access to internal financial planning sessions to support their planning for a stronger financial future.