Newsweek Ranks Consumers Energy as #1 Company in Michigan in Annual "Green Rankings"
JACKSON, Mich., Dec. 14, 2017 /3BL Media/ – Consumers Energy has been ranked as Michigan’s top company – and ninth in the nation – in Newsweek’s annual “Green Rankings,” a reflection of its commitment to environmental principles that are good for its home state of Michigan and customers. Consumers Energy was flanked by Apple and Johnson & Johnson on the list of top performing companies in the country. California-based Cisco Systems finished first overall.
“This independent, national recognition affirms our efforts to protect the planet we all cherish while providing the energy Michigan needs,” said Patti Poppe, Consumers Energy’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “We are excited to be recognized for our commitment to providing energy from increasingly clean energy sources and taking actions that preserve the natural resources of Michigan.”
Newsweek’s annual survey of companies’ environmental performance looks at such factors as support for clean energy, reduction of carbon emissions and efforts to reduce and divert waste.
Consumers Energy and parent company CMS Energy have taken several recent actions that are good for the environment. The company:
- Closed seven coal-fired power plants last year – a higher percentage of its coal plants than any investor-owned utility in the U.S.
- Provides over 10 percent of the electricity that its Michigan customers use from renewable sources such as wind, solar and hydroelectric power.
- Opened solar power plants in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. CMS Energy will install another in Lansing in 2018.
- Has helped Michigan homes and businesses save over $1 billion on bills through energy efficiency since 2009.
- Has already reduced water used to generate electricity by 17 percent and expects to reach a 20 percent reduction by 2018. That should save over 100 billion gallons of water per year.
- Committed to a cumulative waste reduction goal of one million cubic yards of landfill space avoided by 2019, and met that goal in 2017.
“Our mission is to do what’s right, not only what is required, to strengthen the environment and provide clean, reliable energy for our customers,” Poppe said.
Consumers Energy has earned other recent honors for its work to promote clean energy and develop a strong workforce.
Consumers Energy this year scored highest in an independent ranking by Sustainalytics for sustainability performance among U.S. energy providers for the second consecutive year. Consumers Energy also was ranked as Michigan’s best place to work by Forbes magazine and was recognized in Michigan and nationally for its commitment to providing job opportunities for military veterans. Given these honors, it is not surprising that Consumers Energy was also named the Most Trusted Brand in America in the MSI annual customer feedback of combination utilities in America.
About Consumers Energy
Consumers Energy, Michigan’s largest energy provider, is the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy (NYSE: CMS), providing natural gas and/or electricity to 6.7 million of the state’s 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
For more information about Consumers Energy, go to www.ConsumersEnergy.com.
Check out Consumers Energy on social media: