WSP USA Earns APTA's Highest Recognition for Sustainability Commitment
NEW YORK, May 13, 2021 /3BL Media/ — The American Public Transportation Association (APTA) awarded Platinum-level recognition through its Sustainability Commitment program to WSP USA, a leading engineering and professional services consultancy.
This designation showcases WSP’s commitment to sustainability throughout its operations and in the services provided to transit agencies. WSP joins four transit agencies that have received platinum recognition and is the first business member of APTA to achieve this distinction.
“Whether we are delivering high-speed rail systems or designing transportation infrastructure to provide access to underserved communities, WSP is committed to developing Future ReadyTM solutions that reduce carbon emissions, create greater mobility with increased energy efficiency and provide long-term economic benefits to the communities in which we work and live,” said Jannet Walker-Ford, senior vice president and national Transit and Rail leader at WSP USA. “It’s an honor to be recognized by our transportation industry colleagues at APTA.”
First started in 2009, APTA’s Sustainability Commitment puts APTA members, voluntarily comprised of public transit agencies and businesses, at the forefront of continual improvement in sustainability. WSP was a founding signatory of the Sustainability Commitment and was previously awarded Silver level recognition. Since its inception, 155 public transit agencies and businesses have signed on to the Sustainability Commitment and currently, 38 signatories have received recognition.
As signatories, members commit to putting internal processes and actions into place that set the basis for continual improvement on environmental, social and economic sustainability. Organizations that meet the core principles and achieve a minimum number of action items and stretch goals are eligible to obtain higher recognition levels – Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze.
To achieve higher recognition under the Sustainability Commitment, APTA requires an organization to achieve and commit to a certain number of environmental, social and governance (ESG) action items and stretch goals within its operations.
- Environmental: WSP committed to achieving net zero emissions across its value chain by 2040, supported by science-based greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction targets approved by the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi)
- Social: WSP is an advocate for Fitwel, a global certification system focused on supporting occupant health and wellbeing and are aiming to design all new leases to Fitwel standards. The firm’s new Boston office was Boston’s first Fitwel Commercial Interior V2.1-certified space and is expected to achieve LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Governance: As a signatory of the United Nations’ (UN) Global Compact – the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative – WSP is committed to the implementation of the compact’s 10 Principles and contributes to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Through WSP’s global Future Ready innovation program, the firm helps its transit clients create a more sustainable, prosperous and resilient society by evaluating how each project can anticipate and prepare for future changes in societal needs, resource availability, technology and climate.
- Infrastructure: WSP has over 160 employees certified in the Envision Rating System for Sustainable Infrastructure, including several Envision trainers and verifiers. WSP is proud to have supported the California High-Speed Rail Authority in recently achieving Envision platinum certification.
- Fleet: WSP has extensive expertise in guiding transit agencies in their efforts to integrate zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) into their bus fleets, including battery electric buses and hydrogen fuel cell buses. Through the firm’s proprietary Battery Optimization Lifecycle Tool (BOLT), WSP helps agencies simulate a transit agency’s entire route system and plan for a phased transition to a zero-emission fleet. WSP is part of a joint venture assisting the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LA Metro) achieve a 100 percent zero-emission bus fleet by 2030, one of the most ambitious ZEV agency programs in the nation.
- Facilities: WSP helps its clients plan, design and construct sustainable facilities. WSP served as the LEED consultant pursing Silver certification for the recently completed Moynihan Train Station, the dramatic reconfiguration of New York City’s former James A. Farley Post Office that more than doubles the concourse space of the adjacent Penn Station – the busiest passenger transportation facility in the Western Hemisphere. WSP also serves as the engineer-of-record for the Salesforce Transit Center in San Francisco, assisting with required LEED accreditation input and certification, and implementing design features that include water/rainwater management, abundant use of natural daylight, reducing overall energy usage, and application of recycled materials to cut down on construction waste.
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 10,000 employees in 170 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. wsp.com