CapitaLand Publishes Its 10th Edition of Integrated Global Sustainability Report: We See a Sustainable Future
May 30, 2019 — CapitaLand recognises that the long-term success of its business is closely intertwined with the health and prosperity of the communities it operates in. CapitaLand continually integrates sustainability as part of its global business.
As a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact’s (UNGC) commitment, CapitaLand adopts UNGC’s universal principles on human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption, to create a positive impact aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDG).
The report reiterates CapitaLand’s commitment to sustainability and covers its international portfolio and global workforce of more than 12,100 employees.
Key highlights of value creation in 2018
Championing Green Buildings
- 29.8% reduction in carbon emissions intensity since 2008, exceeding its 2020 target of 23%
- S$170 million in utilities cost avoidance since 2009, arising from 17.6% and 20.9% energy and water reduction (per m2 from base year 2008) respectively for its operational properties
- Achieved green certification for 70% (by m2) of its global portfolio
- Collaborated with International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, to pioneer the first green certification for the serviced residence industry under its EDGE (Excellence in Design for Greater Efficiencies) certification. Ascott Makati in Manila is the first serviced residence in the world to be certified under this new category
Integrating Sustainability With Corporate Financing
- Inked Asia’s first and largest real estate sustainability-linked loan with DBS and was the first to collaborate with RobecoSAM, an investment specialist focused on sustainability investing.
Extending Social Investment Impact
- Established a S$2 million CapitaLand Silver Empowerment Fund in partnership with Community Chest Singapore. The first two projects under the fund will benefit over 2,600 elderly beneficiaries when completed.
The report continues to be aligned to the Global Reporting Initiative Standards, and has applied the Guiding Principles of the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC). The whole report is externally assured to AA1000 Assurance Standard, and all figures, statements and claims related to sustainability during FY2018 and the accuracy and reliability of its statements and figures are validated. The assurance engagement was conducted in accordance with the International Standard on Assurance Engagements 3000 (ISAE 3000). The full report is available at https://www.capitaland.com/international/en/about-capitaland/sustainability/sustainability-reports.html.
About CapitaLand Limited (www.capitaland.com)
CapitaLand is one of Asia’s largest real estate companies. Headquartered and listed in Singapore, it is an owner and manager of a global portfolio worth over S$103 billion as at 31 March 2019, comprising integrated developments, shopping malls, lodging, offices, homes, real estate investment trusts (REITs) and funds. CapitaLand’s market capitalisation is approximately S$15 billion as at 31 March 2019. Present across more than 180 cities in over 30 countries, the Group focuses on Singapore and China as core markets, while it continues to expand in markets such as Vietnam, Europe and the USA.
CapitaLand’s competitive advantage is its significant asset base and extensive market network. Coupled with extensive design, development and operational capabilities, the Group develops and manages high-quality real estate products and services. It also has one of the largest investment management businesses in Asia and a stable of five REITs listed in Singapore and Malaysia – CapitaLand Mall Trust, CapitaLand Commercial Trust, Ascott Residence Trust, CapitaLand Retail China Trust and CapitaLand Malaysia Mall Trust.
For its sustainability efforts, CapitaLand is listed in RobecoSAM’s The Sustainability Yearbook, Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World, Dow Jones Sustainability World Index and Asia Pacific Index, Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (5 Star), FTSE4Good Index Series, MSCI Global Sustainability Indexes, Euronext VigeoEiris Indices World 120 and STOXX® Global ESG Leaders Indices.
Facebook: @capitaland / facebook.com/capitaland
Instagram: @capitaland / instagram.com/capitaland
Twitter: @CapitaLand / twitter.com/CapitaLand