KB Home Publishes Industry-Leading 11th Annual Sustainability Report
Homebuilder celebrates its culture of innovation and sustainability
The first major homebuilder to publish a comprehensive sustainability report in 2008, KB Home continues its commitment to documenting the Company’s industry leadership in sustainability and its strategies for future progress.
Taking a broad approach to sustainability, encompassing energy efficiency, water conservation, healthier indoor environments, smart home capabilities and waste reduction, KB Home is the only national builder to have won awards under all of the Environmental Protection Agency’s programs aimed at homebuilders — ENERGY STAR®, WaterSense®, which establishes water efficiency standards, and Indoor airPLUS®, which focuses on indoor air quality.
This report covers KB Home’s sustainability achievements during 2017 and highlights certain cumulative results over the past eleven years. As detailed in the report, through 2017, KB Home has built:
- 115,000+ ENERGY STAR® certified homes
- 13,000+ Water Smart® and WaterSense® labeled new homes
- 6,000+ solar-powered homes, many of which are nearly or are net-zero energy homes
- 150+ LEED Platinum® homes
These KB homes are estimated to have collectively:
- Prevented greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 382,000 passenger vehicles
- Conserved 1.4 billion gallons of water annually compared to the water consumption of typical resale homes and landscaping
- Saved homeowners more than a total of $658 million in utility bills compared to utility costs for typical resale homes
- Produced through the installed solar power systems nearly as much energy as a 14-megawatt solar power plant and offset the production of an estimated 35 million pounds of carbon dioxide per year, while saving homeowners more than $4.7 million in energy costs every year compared to the costs for typical resale homes
Additionally, this report details KB Home’s sustainability goals, achievements and challenges, including an initiative to achieve zero landfill waste by the year 2025. In developing the report, KB Home again followed the Global Reporting Initiative Guidelines, which provide a widely recognized level of accountability and transparency, and are considered by many environmental experts to be the current standard for sustainability reporting.
About KB Home
KB Home (NYSE: KBH) is one of the largest homebuilders in the United States, with more than 600,000 homes delivered since our founding in 1957. We operate in 35 markets in 7 states, primarily serving first-time and first move-up homebuyers, as well as active adults. We are differentiated in offering customers the ability to personalize what they value most in their home, from choosing their lot, floor plan, and exterior, to selecting design and décor choices in our KB Home Studios. In addition, we are an industry leader in sustainability, building innovative and highly energy- and water-efficient homes. We invite you to learn more about KB Home by visiting www.kbhome.com, calling 888-KB-HOMES, or connecting with us on Facebook.com/KBHome or Twitter.com/KBHome.
Vice President, Corporate Communications