Marsh & McLennan Releases 2017-2018 Corporate Citizenship Report
Marsh & McLennan, the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people, published its Corporate Citizenship Report. The report provides an update on the Company’s progress across several citizenship dimensions including supporting its communities, colleagues and the environment and helping move the world forward through its work for clients.
“Our 75,000 colleagues embody our firm’s commitment to citizenship and to what we call ‘living the greater good,” said Dan Glaser, President and Chief Executive Officer, Marsh & McLennan. “We welcome the passion they bring to working for a purpose beyond profit.
“We continue to expand our efforts in making a difference in the areas of gender equality; advancing protections for LGBTQ+ people around the world and inclusion for all; in environmental sustainability; and in giving back to the communities in which we live and work.”
Highlights from the 2017–2018 Corporate Citizenship Report include:
- In 2018, colleagues in 45 countries and 217 cities participated in the Company’s Global Volunteer Month activities.
- Additionally, 20% of colleagues volunteered more than 200,000 hours combined.
- The company lowered its Scope 2 and Scope 3 emissions combined by 7% from 2017 to 2018, even while the colleague population grew.
- Marsh & McLennan was chosen by CDP as a Supplier Engagement Leader for its environmentally-friendly purchasing.
- Colleagues in Australia, Canada, the UK and US reduced paper consumption in 2018, eliminating 38 tons of waste. In Sydney, colleagues diverted more than 80 percent of office waste from landfills.
- Committed to diversity and inclusion, Marsh & McLennan’s workforce is 54 percent female. Women hold 1 in 3 of all managerial level and above positions.
- The Company was named to Forbes’s list of “America’s Best Large Employers,” Military Times “Best for Vets Employers” and the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index. The Company also earned a perfect score on the 2018 Corporate Equality Index and was named a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality” in the US by the Human Rights Campaign for the 10th year in a row.
- Analyses by Marsh & McLennan colleagues help to inform the world’s most important conversations. The Company is a major contributor to the Global Risks Report, prepared in partnership with the World Economic Forum, which assesses humanity’s greatest threats.
- The Company also works with clients to help them promote economic growth and environmental stewardship through initiatives like:
- Guy Carpenter’s work with more than 100 public entities around the globe to narrow the public risk protection gap by bringing private sector capital to bear.
- Potential Energy, a 501(c)(3) organization created to educate Americans on the issue of climate change and encourage action, which was formed by 16 agencies including Lippincott, a unit of Oliver Wyman.
- Marsh’s Risk Consulting’s Visual Intelligence Services (VIS), is helping accelerate disaster response by using multiple sources of visual data, including current drone imagery, to access areas that may otherwise be unreachable in the immediate aftermath of a hurricane, tropical storm, earthquake or other catastrophe. This data is often instrumental in helping businesses respond more quickly to events.
- Mercer advocates for workforce diversity and equality as well as making healthcare simple and more efficient. Its initiatives include:
- The launch of Marketplace 365+TM, a digital consumer platform that enables employees to make better-informed decisions about their health and financial wellness; and
- A partnership with EDGE Certification, which helps companies identify their gender gaps and develop and implement plans to close them.
About Marsh & McLennan Companies
Marsh & McLennan (NYSE: MMC) is the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. The Company’s 75,000 colleagues advise clients in over 130 countries. With annualized revenue approaching $17 billion, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading businesses. Marsh advises individual and commercial clients of all sizes on insurance broking and innovative risk management solutions. Guy Carpenter develops advanced risk, reinsurance and capital strategies that help clients grow profitably and pursue emerging opportunities. Mercer delivers advice and technology-driven solutions that help organizations meet the health, wealth and career needs of a changing workforce. Oliver Wyman serves as a critical strategic, economic and brand advisor to private sector and governmental clients. For more information, visit mmc.com, follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @mmc_global or subscribe to BRINK.
Global Media Relations Director
Marsh & McLennan
Corporate Citizenship Engagement & Reporting Manager
Marsh & McLennan