RBS Publishes 2018 Integrated Strategic Report
“We are building a more sustainable bank; a more responsible company, doing business in a more sustainable way. We consider the long-term impacts of our actions in our decision making, and we are proud that our enterprise and financial education programmes show the difference we’re making for our customers and communities. Continuing to live by our values and providing, simple, safe and more customer focused banking will help us to build trust for the long term.”
Kirsty Britz, Director of Sustainable Banking
RBS is a financial services company, providing a wide range of products and services to personal, commercial, large corporate and institutional customers.
For a number of years we have prioritised transparency and openness in our reporting. This is our third year of integrated reporting and our 2018 Strategic Report brings financial and non financial performance together. Highlights include:
- Delivering £30.4 billion in gross new UK mortgage lending in UK Personal Banking.
- We made £3 billion of funding available through our Growth Fund to help businesses ready their supply chains for the UK’s departure from the EU.
- Our Commercial and Business Banking business supported total lending of over £100 billion.
- We made or renewed commitments of around £30 billion of term lending facilities to UK businesses.
- Over 1 million Financial Health Checks completed with our personal, private, and business customers.
- We trained over 150,000 colleagues and customers as part of our ‘Friends Against Scams’ commitment to provide training to one million people across the UK by end of 2020.
- MoneySense has been running for over 24 years, during which it has helped over 6.5 million young people learn about money. MoneySense is used in more than 86% of UK secondary schools.
- RBS is the only UK bank to be included in the DJSI World and Europe Indices, and continued to retain or improve our scores in the other ratings such as the CDP (Climate change), Sustainalytics and MSCI.
- We announced a commitment to provide £10bn funding to the Sustainable Energy sector by 2020.
- We announced enhanced energy lending policies and we published our second disclosure in line with the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures recommendations.
Working at RBS:
- RBS won Employer of the Year at the Women in Finance Awards and was recognised in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
- We achieved Gold Rated Disability Standard for the Business Disability Forum Standard.
- We were awarded Payroll Giving Gold Award.
At RBS, we are focused on serving customers well. We are making progress towards embedding sustainability across our organisation and welcome the growing prominence of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 2030 targets. In 2018, we completed an assessment of our business activities against the SDGs and we’re engaging with a range of stakeholders to help us align our strategy. We know there is more to do, and throughout 2019 we will continue to listen and change for the better.
We have learnt some important lessons in the past decade and this continues to motivate us to run the bank as a sustainable and responsible business, serving today’s customers in a way that also helps future generations.
For further details contact: RBSSustainability@rbs.co.uk
Tel: 0207 672 1981
Sustainable Banking Contact: