Teck Reports 2017 Sustainability Performance
Teck Resources Limited ("Teck”) has released its 17th annual Sustainability Report, covering the company’s performance in 2017 and progress towards its short-term sustainability goals set for 2020.
Throughout the report, Teck emphasizes that through strong sustainability practices, they are able to reduce risk, lower costs, recruit and retain talented people, build long-term shareholder value, and contribute to reaching the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. With Teck’s focus on implementing sustainability into every aspect of the business, some of Teck’s performance achievements in 2017 included:
- Met our 2020 greenhouse gas emission reduction goal early, with total reductions of 281 kilotonnes of CO2e emissions since 2011.
- Continued our focus on diversity and inclusion, with women making up 29% of total hires in 2017 and 17% of total workforce, up from 15% in 2016.
- Agreements with Indigenous communities in place at 100% of our mining operations within or adjacent to Indigenous Peoples’ territories, and we are finalizing agreements for each of our major projects.
- $138 million spent with Indigenous-owned businesses across our operations, which includes a 48% increase in procurement from Indigenous-owned businesses for our steelmaking coal and Highland Valley Copper operations over the past three years.
- Released a new Water Policy that commits Teck to apply consistently strong and transparent water governance, and sustainable water use.
- Recycled and reused water an average of four times at our mining operations and have reduced new water use by 11% since 2013.
- Teck’s Cardinal River, Greenhills and Trail operations each received the 2017 Towards Sustainable Mining Leadership Award from the Mining Association of Canada.
In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth consecutive year as well as the Euronext Vigeo World 120 Index, Bloomberg Gender Equality Index, and the Corporate Knights Best 50 list for the 11th straight year.
Teck’s full Sustainability Report is available at www.teck.com/responsibility.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
Senior Communications Specialist