The Secrets of Engaging Millennials - #3BLChat
3BL Media’s recent Twitter chat focused 60 minutes of crowd sourced knowledge sharing with guest expert Chris Jarvis (@RealizedWorth) unearthed a treasure trove of resources and leadership examples.
A priority theme for many HR (and CSR) professionals, especially those in technology related industries, the conversation covered the range of sub-topics from recruitment, productivity, retention and communications. There is obviously a growing overlap between HR and CSR in general, but Millennial engagement is probably the strongest focal point, and for good business reasons.
50% of the workforce will be a Millennial by 2020
With an audience containing senior professionals from Kimberly Clark, GAP Inc, GSK, Cisco, Skype, REI in addition to many specialist experts, as well as the key guest, the conversation was full of insight and best practice examples.
Key themes discussed included work / life alignment (or Values Bundling as Chris J calls it), the natural entrepreneurial / disruptive ethos of Millennials, corporate versus individual values, flexible working, volunteering, social media communications, how to measure engagement performance and mentoring.
Network for Good also shared a sneak (now live) preview of their new ‘The Millennial Engagement Guide’.
For a fuller list of the #3BLchat questions, answers and content visit our Storify summary of the event.
Below is a list of additional shared facts and numerous resources curated from the event.
- 88% believe 'it's important for companies to give something back'
- Millennials 10x more likely to become entrepreneurs
- 86% would leave an employer who's values no longer met expectations
- 71% of American workers are 'not engaged' or 'actively disengaged'
- 38% of employees said they weren’t volunteering because they hadn’t been asked
- 60% not interested in career in biz
- A Generation Lost In Translation? via @CaliMcG
- GSK’s PULSE Volunteer Partnership via @GSK_US
- Millennials in the Workplace Training Video – via @RealizedWorth
- Defending GenY: Why Millennial Bashers Are Wrong! via @FactSetCareers
- SAP CEO McDermott Bets on Millennial Leaders via @CJ_Schneider1
- A Workplace Where Who You Are Matters via @Darden_news
- Deloitte Millennial Survey 2014 via @CJ_Schneider1
- Net Impact – What Workers Want 2012 via @CaliMcG / @RealizedWorth
- Helping Students Prepare For Future Careers via @CJ_Schneider1 / @baxter_intl
- Measuring The Impact Of Corporate Volunteering via @RealizedWorth
- Spike In Corporate Volunteering via @RealizedWorth
- How #Millennials view and impact the workplace via @3BLMedia / @PwC_LLP
- Workplace Trends Report 2013 – via @3BLMedia / @SodexoGroup
- Top of Mind: 10 Interesting Articles/Trends in CSR via @3BLMedia / @catchafire
- What Motivates Millennial Employees to Give & Volunteer? via @3BLMedia / @RealizedWorth
- Is Giving The Secret To Getting Ahead? via @KTDVCnct / @RealizedWorth
- Never Mind The Chatter. What Do Millennials Really Want? via @RealizedWorth
- Bentley University: PreparedU Project via @LivingUnited / @RealizedWorth
- Surprising Facts About Millennials In The Workplace via @RealizedWorth
- The Future of Hiring. How To Write A Job Description in 2014 via @BMeaningful
- The Next Greatest Generation? via @KarenAmman
- 2013 Concordia Summit Highlights via @ADHumlen
- Tickling The Employee Engagement Sweetspot via @GarethKane
- 10 Ways Millennials Are Creating The Future Of Work via @KTDVCnct
- Vans – Custom Culture via @jeremieg21
- 5 Millennial Mythbusters via @PeggyatKC
- Prosocial Bonuses Increase Employee Satisfaction and Team Performance via @RealizedWorth
- The Nature of Slacktivism: How the Social Observability of an Initial Act of Token Support
- Affects Subsequent Prosocial Action via @RealizedWorth