Players Trust to Bestow $260,000 to Nonprofits Selected by 2016 Players Choice Awards Winners
Tonight on MLB Network (8-9:30 PM ET) the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) will announce the winners of its 25th annual presentation of the Players Choice Awards. The awards program will be presented by MLB The Show™ and sponsored by Majestic Athletic.
The Players Choice Awards, in which the players themselves recognize excellence on and off the field, have been presented by the MLBPA, since 1992, when Major Leaguers selected Dennis Eckersley and Barry Bonds as the AL and NL Outstanding Players, respectively.
Since the Players Trust’s inception in 1996, the charitable arm of the Players Association has provided more than $4 million in charitable grants to causes around the world selected by the winning players. And once again, the Trust looks forward to joining with this year’s winners to provide $260,000 in total contributions to charitable organizations personally selected by each winner. Each League award winner will receive a grant totaling $20,000, while the Marvin Miller Man of the Year and overall Player of the Year, selected from either League, will each receive $50,000 grants.
Jose Altuve, David Ortiz and Mookie Betts are the finalists for Player of the Year, while Curtis Granderson, Anthony Rizzo and Justin Turner are finalists for the Marvin Miller Man of the Year, the Man of the Year award is given to the player who most inspires others through his on-field performances and contributions to his community.
Tonight, the Players will also honor the outstanding player, rookie, pitcher and comeback player in each league.
The winners for each award were selected by players in league-wide balloting conducted in late September under the supervision of accounting firm KPMG.
Here is the complete list of 2016 Players Choice Awards Finalists:
- Outstanding Player: Jose Altuve (Houston Astros); Mookie Betts (Boston Red Sox); Mike Trout (LA Angels)
- Outstanding Pitcher: Zach Britton (Baltimore Orioles); Corey Kluber (Cleveland Indians); Rick Porcello (Boston Red Sox)
- Outstanding Rookie: Michael Fulmer (Detroit Tigers); Tyler Naquin (Cleveland Indians); Gary Sanchez (NY Yankees)
- Comeback Player: Yu Darvish (Texas Rangers); Ian Desmond (Texas Rangers); Mark Trumbo (Baltimore Orioles)
- Outstanding Player: Nolan Arenado (Colorado Rockies); Kris Bryant (Chicago Cubs); Daniel Murphy (Washington Nationals)
- Outstanding Pitcher: Kyle Hendricks (Chicago Cubs); Clayton Kershaw (Los Angeles Dodgers); Max Scherzer (Washington Nationals)
- Outstanding Rookie: Aledmys Diaz (St. Louis Cardinals); Corey Seager (Los Angeles Dodgers); Trea Turner (Washington Nationals)
- Comeback Player: Jose Fernandez (Miami Marlins); Rich Hill (Los Angeles Dodgers); Jean Segura (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Player of Year: Jose Altuve (Houston Astros); Mookie Betts (Boston Red Sox); David Ortiz (Boston Red Sox)
- Man of the Year: Curtis Granderson (NY Mets); Anthony Rizzo (Chicago Cubs); Justin Turner (Los Angeles Dodgers)
For a complete list of award winners going back to 1992, click here.