Banorte Products and Services Synonymous with a Positive Environmental Footprint
- GFNorte is the first financial group to be recognized with the acknowledgment GEI2, from the GEI Mexico Program, of the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat).
- Banorte is included for second consecutive year in the Climate Disclosure Leadership Index (CDLI) for Latin America, where stands out for its leadership role.
- Social and Environmental Management System (SEMS), Integrated Power Control
- System (SICE) and the Paperless program are some initiatives the institution has implemented in order to mitigate the impacts on the environment.
September 25, 2015 /3BL Media/ - One of Grupo Financiero Banorte’s main objectives is to promote the care and protection of the environment, so it constantly encourages actions to ensure the efficient use of natural resources and the mitigation of impacts that could be generated in it its operations.
Banorte, as an institution that is aware of the challenges caused by climate change, continuously records and monitors its greenhouse gas emissions through GEI Mexico and the Climate Disclosure Leadership Index, achieving:
- The distinction of being the first financial group to receive GEI2 recognition from the GEI Mexico Program, of the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resource (Semarnat), which aims to develop the skills assessment, accounting and reporting capacities of greenhouse gas emissions in the companies.
- Forming part of the Climate Disclosure Leadership Index (CDLI) for Latin America for a second consecutive year, in which GFNorte stands out for its leadership as a result of quality and thoroughness of information provided to investors and global markets through the CDP.
Internally, Banorte has also carried out the following actions with the aim of mitigating operational impacts on the environment:
- Implementation of the Integrated Power Control System (SICE) to reduce energy consumption as well as a system to monitor gasoline consumption of the institution’s vehicles.
- Reduction of paper consumption, our goal has been reached through the implementation of our Paperless program and various campaigns underway focused on disseminating the responsible use of paper and recycling.
- Continuation of the token campaign for the delivery, reuse and proper disposal of physical tokens returned by customers, as well as the promotion of Banorte mobile and replacements with the mobile token.
- In the same way, GFNorte seeks to apply a methodology that will allow quantify real water consumption and to determine areas and seasons of higher consumption, in order to make a more responsible use of this resource.
Just as important to Banorte as the efficient management of natural capital in its operations, is the responsibility implied in financing various projects due to the environmental and social risks they could cause.
In response, GFNorte is adhering to the Equator Principles as from March 2012, which provides the ability to identify, analyze and manage risks inherent to projects with investment exceeding $10 million dollars.
Similarly, Banorte has a Social and Environmental Management System (SEMS) which has been an invaluable tool in identifying, managing, assessing, preventing, mitigating and compensating for risks associated with Banorte’s loan portfolio.
This is how with each of these initiatives, the strong Bank of Mexico seeks to generate environmental awareness among its employees to generate positive impacts in society - because caring for the environment together makes a stronger Mexico.