HP Inc. Survey Reveals Sustainability Tops List of Incentives for Office Workers
- When office workers in Brazil and Mexico look at how important certain aspects of a job are, they rate sustainability as the most important employer offering, alongside technology available in the office.
- Office workers report high levels of participation in sustainability efforts such as turning off lights to save energy, recycling, and taking alternative transportation to work.
- They also want to do more – employees look to their employers to provide resources and training to advance sustainable practices.
- There’s big opportunity around printing as an environmentally-friendly technology; most employees view printing as having a negative impact on the environment.
PALO ALTO, Calif., May 10, 2018 /3BL Media/ – In a new survey from HP Inc. focusing on more than 3,000 office employees in Mexico, U.S. and Brazil, sustainability rises to the top as the most important employer offering. HP revealed the results as part of the company’s 2018 Americas Innovation Summit.
Sustainability as a workplace priority
Sustainability isn’t just the right thing to do, it’s also a critical part of talent acquisition. From the survey, sustainability is tied with new technology as the #1 most important employer offering across all surveyed countries.
- It is #1 most important in Brazil and a close second in the U.S. and Mexico, behind new technology
- U.S.: 56% report that they will be more likely to work at an employer that offers ways to practice sustainability at work
- Mexico: 79% report that they will be more likely to work at an employer that offers ways to practice sustainability at work
- Brazil: 85% report that they will be more likely to work at an employer that offers them ways to practice sustainability at work
It’s time for employers to step up. Employees are committed, but they want to do more.
Office workers report high levels of participation in sustainability efforts such as turning off lights to save energy, recycling, and taking alternative transportation to work.
- To help them practice more sustainability/“green” initiatives at work, employees need their employers to provide the necessary equipment – both separate receptacles for recycling/composting and sustainable materials – and more training.
- US office workers don’t perceive sustainability/“green” initiatives as being important to their employer compared to office workers in Mexico and Brazil (33% rate it as very important/critical to their employer vs. 58% in Mexico and 62% in Brazil)
Education is Key to Changing Behavior
- As important as sustainability is to office workers, they don’t demonstrate much knowledge about it; more education is needed around the environmental impact of printing to combat common misconceptions, and most underestimate how well their country is doing at meeting its Sustainable Development Goals. Few see printing as an environmentally-friendly technology.
- Solutions exist:
- At home and in the office, HP original ink cartridges use up to 73% recycled plastic, and toner one-third recycled plastic
- In graphics, our latex inks are water-based – better for handling by people, and better for environment
- Since 2000, more than 90M kilograms of recycled plastic have been used to manufacture new original HP ink and toner cartridges, equal to nearly 5,000 tractor-trailer loads of plastic
- HP ENVY Photo printer is world’s first in-class printers made with closed-loop recycled plastic
- HP PageWide printers reduce energy consumption by up to 71%
- By publishing books on demand with Piazza, HP is dramatically reducing the carbon footprint in publishing
- Businesses that use HP Managed Print Services see typical reductions in energy usage associated with printing of 20-40%
More on Sustainability at HP can be found here.
About the study
- 18-65 year olds who work in an office setting in the U.S., Mexico, and Brazil
- n=500 per country (MOE = +/- 4.4 p.p.), n=1,500 total (MOE = +/- 2.5 p.p.)
- The survey was conducted April 23-April 26, 2018
- 10-minute online quantitative survey
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.