Points of Light Partners with Good Deeds Day to Mobilize Volunteers Around the World During Global Day of Service
ATLANTA, March 30, 2017 /3BL Media/ – Points of Light is proud to join Good Deeds Day as an official partner on this annual global day of service, which will take place Sunday, April 2, 2017. With a network of affiliates in 37 countries, including the United States, Points of Light is uniquely positioned to inspire, equip and mobilize people to “do good deeds for the benefit of others and the planet.”
Now in its 11th year, Good Deeds Day unites more than 1.5 million people from 93 countries in service through volunteer projects and individual acts of good. Through this partnership, Points of Light seeks to reach and inspire more individuals in communities across the United States and around the world, and to build more cohesive action and alignment across its global network.
“The Points of Light network of affiliates is a catalyst for increasing civic engagement that helps build more resilient communities,” said Alison Doerfler, executive director of the Points of Light HandsOn Network. “Good Deeds Day is a powerful example of how each of us can do something good, be it large or small, to improve the lives of others and change the world. Including Good Deeds Day as a day of service in which Points of Light activates its network represents our collective power and the role we play in the global service movement.”
Points of Light affiliates in six U.S. markets and 17 countries will manage a variety of volunteer projects for Good Deeds Day. Some highlights include:
- Atados (Brazil) will organize hundreds of projects across Brazil. Volunteers will visit orphanages and retirement homes to read and spend time with children and seniors, participate in trash cleanups and recycling projects, and other events throughout the country.
- Chicago Cares (United States) will stock shelves at Breakthrough Urban Ministries Food Bank. Volunteers will also greet guests and assist them as they shop for items, and restock inventory.
- RomAltruista (Italy) will engage thousands of volunteers and nonprofits across the country in partnership with Centri di Servizio per il Volontariato del Lazio, the volunteer center organizing Good Deeds Day in Italy.
- Hands On Atlanta (United States) will assemble 200 school supply kits for children who attend the Hands On Atlanta Discovery Program.
- Hands On Manila (Philippines) will host a project at the Arocerros Forest Park, where volunteers will play games with and provide food to homeless children.
From random acts of kindness, city-wide cleanups and park beautification days, to food drives, animal adoption events, and many more, Points of Light affiliates will also organize service projects in Costa Rica, El Salvador, England, Guatemala, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Mexico, Panama, Poland, Russia, Spain, and in Boston, Orlando, San Diego and Portland in the United States. Employees in Points of Light’s Atlanta, New York, and Washington, D.C., offices will also engage in volunteer projects for Good Deeds Day.
“We are excited to partner with Points of Lights for Goods Deeds Day, uniting together as two strong organizations focused on strengthening and promoting volunteering in the world,” said Kaynan Rabino, CEO of Good Deeds Day. “Together we can do more good.”
To get involved, individuals, organizations and companies can visit the Good Deeds Day website to get project planning ideas, to register a project, and to download additional resources. Volunteers can also participate in Good Deeds Day by finding local volunteer opportunities in their community.
About Points of Light
Points of Light – the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service – mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages 4 million volunteers in 30 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people to bear where it’s needed most. For more information, go to www.pointsoflight.org.
About Good Deeds Day
Good Deeds Day is an annual tradition of good deeds. All over the world, hundreds of thousands choose to volunteer and help others, putting into practice the simple idea that every single person can do something good, be it large or small, to improve the lives of others and positively change the world. Learn more at www.good-deeds-day.org.