Trane Introduces Zero Carbon Compact Cooling and Heating Systems
BRUSSELS, January 8, 2018 /3BL Media/ – Trane®, a leading global provider of indoor comfort solutions and services and a brand of Ingersoll Rand, is introducing CITY, three new chillers and heat pump products below 400kW for efficiently heating and cooling small commercial buildings, industrial facilities and industrial processes.
The compact CITY products are 38 percent more efficient at part load than the 2021 Ecodesign requirements, future-proofing building owners’ investments in this unique system. They are designed with near zero global warming potential (GWP) and non-flammable refrigerant, R-1234ze and uses renewable energy, geothermal sourced water and waste water to deliver heating capacity up to 80 degrees Celsius. This is ideal for small commercial buildings, industrial facilities and industrial processes because it matches with (existing) conventional heating system requirements and it delivers a safe, less than 1 GWP cooling and heating solution. The three new products are:
- Trane CITY Comfort is a chiller for office buildings, hospitality, district cooling and heating and data centers, and can be used in small industrial processes such as food and beverage and small agricultural production such as wineries.
- Trane CITY Process is a process chiller variant of this portfolio that provides highly efficient process cooling for food and beverage, warehouses, cold storage and ice rinks, and can freeze down to -12 degrees. The product uses R-1234zwhich is near zero GWP and non-flammable.
- The Trane CITY Booster is a water to water heat pump and delivers hot water at temperatures of between 50 and 80 degrees Celsius designed for applications like high temperature heating, sanitary hot water supplies, district heating and heat recovery cascades. Trane CITY Booster sources energy from waste water or geothermal systems at 5 to 30 degrees Celsius.
“Trane CITY products meet a diverse set of customer needs for compact, efficient comfort and process cooling and heating needs,” said Jose La Loggia, vice president and general manager of Trane in Europe, Middle East and Africa. “The combination of Trane technology, the use of renewable energy and waste water sources, and near zero GWP refrigerant deliver unmatched operating performance and are a sustainable investment for building owners.”
Before CITY, small commercial buildings, industrial facilities and industrial processes were served with scroll compressor technology. With CITY, they can now use a combination of inverters and screw compressor technology with a refrigerant with less than 1 GWP and a seasonal efficiency gain of 28%.
Trane CITY is part of the Ingersoll Rand EcoWise portfolio of products designed to lower environmental impact with next-generation, low-GWP refrigerants and high-efficiency operation. For more details of on the complete Trane portfolio of solutions, please visit Trane.com.
Delivering on the Ingersoll Rand Climate Commitment
In 2014, Ingersoll Rand publicly committed to increase its energy efficiency and reduce the greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) related to its operations and products.
The company’s Climate Commitment includes:
- 50 percent reduction in GHG refrigerant footprint of its products by 2020 and lower-GWP alternatives across its portfolio by 2030;
- $500 million investment in product-related research and development to fund long-term GHG reduction
- 35 percent reduction in the greenhouse gas footprint of its own operations by 2020
Ingersoll Rand’s Climate Commitment has enabled the avoidance of 11 million metric tons of CO2e globally from its products compared to a 2013 baseline, equal to the emissions from the energy used in 1.6 million homes for one year. The company also has reduced the GHG intensity of its operations by 23 percent when compared to a 2013 baseline.
# # #
About Ingersoll Rand
Ingersoll Rand (NYSE:IR) is a world leader in creating and sustaining safe, comfortable and efficient environments in commercial, residential and industrial markets. Our people and our family of brands — including Club Car®, Ingersoll Rand®, Thermo King® and Trane® — work together to enhance the quality and comfort of air in homes and buildings, transport and protect food and perishables, secure homes and commercial properties, and increase industrial productivity and efficiency. Trane solutions optimize indoor environments with a broad portfolio of energy efficient heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems, building and contracting services, parts support and advanced control. Ingersoll Rand is committed to sustainable business practices within our company and for our customers. For more information, visit www.ingersollrand.com or www.trane.com.