Entergy is Fighting Climate Change So Our Communities Have a Bright Future
Entergy is actively working toward a clean energy future for everyone who lives and works in the communities we serve. Our everyday work supports the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal #13 – Climate Action: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
Since 2001, we’ve voluntarily stabilized and reduced our carbon dioxide emissions. We’ve strengthened and extended our climate commitment, most recently outperforming our 2020 goal by 8%.
Now, as outlined in our 2020 climate report addendum, we are committed to achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. This means Entergy will work over the next three decades to reduce carbon emissions from our operations as low as possible. Any remaining emissions will be offset by purchasing carbon credits, investing in wetlands restoration and reforestation and other actions.
We will accomplish this commitment through:
- Working with our regulators and stakeholders to balance reliability, affordability and sustainability objectives.
- Expanding our use of renewables like solar and distributed-energy resources like backup generators.
- Building in options for using green hydrogen as an alternative fuel source in our modern natural gas-powered plants, including Entergy Texas’ future Orange County Power Station.
- Potentially retrofitting existing generation plants with emerging technologies such as carbon capture and battery storage.
- Replacing older, less efficient generating units with new, modern, efficient plants.
- Retiring all coal-powered generating plants by the end of 2030. (Coal resources contributed only 3% to our utility’s 2020 energy mix).
- Collaborating with customers, key suppliers, and industry partners to advance clean technologies and strategies.
- Engaging with partners and gaining experience in enhancing natural systems, such as wetlands and forests that absorb carbon.
- Working with other industries such as transportation on beneficial electrification and communitywide emission reduction initiatives.
These are just a few of the actions we’ve taken as a responsible steward of our environment, ensuring our communities are cleaner and more resilient today and for future generations.