Diversifying Our Workforce
We are committed to an inclusive workplace that empowers diverse talent and leverages our diversity to achieve our business goals.
Our Diverse Workforce
We’re a team that celebrates our differences and is proud to serve one of the most diverse regions in the country. We believe it’s critical to have a workforce that represents the customers and communities we serve, and their broad diversity.
One way we measure the effectiveness of our efforts is by regularly tracking employee demographic data, as well as new hires and turnover rates, by age, race, ethnicity and gender. Additionally, employees are periodically invited to participate in a voluntary Self-ID survey through which they can self-identify as belonging to other demographic groups including gender beyond the binary choice of female/male, sexual orientation, veteran and disability status.
Advancing Gender Parity
Representing 32% of the workforce, our female colleagues mitigate wildfires, maintain field operations, assist customers and drive our clean energy strategy, among other roles. They represent the top talent in our industry and are at the heart of Edison International’s success. Our commitment to hiring qualified women and advancing their opportunities in our workforce has never been stronger.
We are working to achieve gender parity in executive roles by 2030, a goal we set in 2016 when we joined Paradigm for Parity, a coalition of business leaders dedicated to addressing the leadership gender gap in corporate America. At the end of 2021, our data shows the representation of females in our executive roles has gone up by 8% since 2016.1 Additionally, in 2021 our Edison International Managing Committee became 50% female and 50% male.
Sustaining our progress toward gender parity in our executive roles will depend in part on broader societal trends, including the diversity of our candidate pool. In addition to Paradigm for Parity, we partner with organizations that advance gender equality in society, including:
- Association of Women in Water, Energy and Environment (AWWEE), an organization dedicated to supporting women’s professional growth in our industry
- Catalyst, a global nonprofit that helps leading companies accelerate and advance women through pioneering research, practical tools and proven solutions
- Fairygodboss, a leading career community for women To engage our male colleagues in gender inclusion, in 2021 we launched Men Advocating Real Change (MARC) Dialogue Teams, a voluntary allyship program led by our DEI team and Women’s Roundtable BRG. MARC fosters a culture of support and inclusion by inspiring men to leverage their unique opportunity and responsibility to be allies. More than 100 team members have already joined a MARC discussion group.
Our Female Executive Officers
- 47% female executive officers at Edison International
- 33% female executive officers at SCE
- 43% female executive officers at Edison Energy*
* Edison Energy is not the same company as Southern California Edison, the utility, and Edison Energy is not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission.
1 When compared to our 2016 sustainability report for female executives, reported as 30% female executive representation.