LA Galaxy and StubHub Center Implement Full Week of Community Programming to Precede Protect the Pitch Day on Sunday, April 23 vs. Seattle Sounders FC
LOS ANGELES, April 17, 2017 /3BL Media/ – As part of LA Galaxy’s upcoming match at StubHub Center against Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday, April 23, and in accordance with Earth Day on April 22, AEG’s LA Galaxy and StubHub Center will host Protect the Pitch Day, showcasing the committed effort to become more sustainable and environmentally friendly in all facets of operations. The LA Galaxy will host and participate in a variety of community events showcasing sustainability efforts throughout the week leading up to the match, culminating with several initiatives during the contest at StubHub Center on Sunday, April 23 (1 p.m. PT; ESPN).
The week starts with a tour hosted by LA Galaxy and StubHub Center, showing Carson’s Catskill Avenue Elementary around the StubHub Center grounds. Students will be shown sustainability projects as well as other stadium initiatives working to reduce the carbon footprint of stadium operations. On Wednesday, the LA Galaxy Academy will visit Twenty-Fourth Street Elementary School to beautify the campus, through planting a garden, completing construction and other tasks on campus.
Among the new sustainable programs implemented at Stubhub Center are four bee hives that will produce more than 800 pounds of honey each year. Additionally, 12 chickens are now housed in a dedicated chicken coop at StubHub Center and the LA Galaxy Greenhouse that will offer space to grow various produce. All of these materials will be used in food preparations for LA Galaxy, LA Galaxy II and LA Galaxy Academy players, coaches and staff to provide healthy and sustainable meal options.
On Friday, LA Galaxy will visit Griffith Park to assist TreePeople with tree care in the local community as a part of the Protect the Pitch sustainability program. TreePeople is a three-year LA Galaxy partner that inspires the people of Los Angeles to take personal responsibility for the urban forest.
The Galaxy will wrap up the week on Sunday, when they take on Seattle Sounders FC at 1:00 p.m. at StubHub Center (the match will be broadcast live on ESPN). During the match, LA Galaxy and StubHub Center will officially celebrate Protect the Pitch Day, showcasing the efforts to be a more sustainable organization, and encouraging fans to do the same.
As part of the Protect the Pitch Day, the LA Galaxy and StubHub Center will work to celebrate and highlight the various initiatives implemented to conserve energy, increase sustainability and reduce carbon footprint during the match. The LA Galaxy will sell Relan Tote Bags, which are made from recycled materials from the club’s 2014 MLS Cup Championship banner which previously hung inside StubHub Center. Fans will be able to purchase at StubHub Center the LA Galaxy Relan Tote Bags on Sunday and online by visiting squareup.com/market/la-galaxy-foundation/.
|Monday, April 17||
Protect the Pitch: Field Trip to StubHub Center
Catskill Avenue Elementary school students to visit StubHub Center and receive tour of in-stadium green house, chicken coop and bee hives
|9:45 - 11:45 a.m||
18400 Avalon Blvd.
Carson, CA 90746
Wednesday, April 19
Protect the Pitch: Galaxy Academy at Twenty-Fourth Street Elementary School
LA Galaxy Academy members to visit Twenty-Fourth Street Elementary School to help beautify school campus through planting garden and other school maintenance
|12:30-3:00 p.m.||Twenty-Fourth Street Elementary School
2055 W. 24th St.
|Friday, April 21||
Foundation Fridays: TreePeople Volunteer Day
LA Galaxy to help beautify park with initiatives including deep-watering trees, building watering basins to ensure the water feeds the trees’ roots, pulling weeds and spreading mulch
|9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||
Bette Davis Picnic Area
Western & Rancho Ave.
Glendale, CA 91201
|Sunday, April 23||
LA Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders FC – Protect the Pitch Day
18400 Avalon Blvd.
Carson, CA 90746
Protect the Pitch is a program launched by the LA Galaxy and StubHub Center last year that focuses on reducing the environmental impact of LA Galaxy games and practices at StubHub Center, supporting environmental projects in our community, and inspiring fans to help create healthier, more sustainable communities. As part of Protect the Pitch, the Galaxy and StubHub Center will continue to implement various efforts designed to engage the community, save water, conserve energy, and reduce waste while involving and encouraging the Galaxy fan base to support these efforts.
For more information on LA Galaxy and StubHub Center’s Protect the Pitch initiatives and the effort to become a more sustainable and environmentally friendly stadium, see below.
PROTECT THE PITCH INITIATIVES
- StubHub Center houses 12 chickens in a dedicated chicken coup on site
- StubHub Center is home to four separate beehives which produce over 800 pounds of honey per year
- A greenhouse resides that StubHub Center, which produces numerous types of vegetables used to provide food for tenants at StubHub Center
- Motion sensors save energy by ensuring lights stay off when no one is using them
- New and upgraded LED lights less 60 percent less energy than the lighting array it replaced
- StubHub Center is the only soccer-specific MLS stadium to utilize LED stadium lights
- StubHub Center uses 1-megawatt of Tesla batteries, StubHub Center manages energy usage in a more responsible and environmentally-friendly way
- The LA Galaxy irrigate fields at StubHub Center with roughly 50% recycled water, saving about 35 Olympic swimming pools of drinking water each year
- StubHub Center uses waterless urinals, low-flow toilets, and faucet aerators to reduce water use in our restrooms
- LA Galaxy train employees to help minimize water use when cleaning up the stadium
Waste and Recycling
- LA Galaxy capture bottles, cans, cups, cardboard, paper, and more through our recycling program
- Our composting program sends grass clippings from our fields to a local nursery and brings them back on-site as mulch
- By purchasing recycled-content paper products, we’re helping make sure the materials we recycle go to good us
- Have irrigated fields and landscaping with recycled water since opening in 2003
- LA Galaxy and StubHub Center employees volunteer to help keep our community healthy through numerous initiatives, including planting trees and cleaning up beaches
- The LA Galaxy and StubHub Center partner with local nonprofits to organize annual events for Earth Hour, Earth Day, and America Recycles Day
- Upcoming volunteer days
- StubHub Center features on-site bike racks to make it easier for Galaxy fans to bike to the game
- LA Galaxy and StubHub Center launched The Galaxy Express this year, which offers fans free non-stop shuttles to and from StubHub Center for every LA Galaxy home match
- The Galaxy Express can be utilized in two separate locations and operate approximately every 10 minutes
PROTECT THE PITCH PARTICIPATION
At Galaxy games:
- Fans can recycle bottles, cans and cups in the designated recycling bins, both inside StubHub Center and in tailgating areas
- Team up with friends and family to carpool to Galaxy games
- Utilize The Galaxy Express shuttle to go to and from StubHub Center
- Use the designated drop-off and pick-up zone at StubHub Center
- Galaxy fans can turn off the lights and adjust the heating or cooling when not home to save energy
- When replacing appliances, look for ENERGY STAR® models to conserve energy
- Experiment with watering your lawn less frequently. Most home water use happens in your yard.
- When replacing bathroom or kitchen fixtures, look for WaterSense® products to save water
Waste and Recycling
- Galaxy fans can recycle at home and are encouraged to set up a compost bin for food waste.
- Buy perishable food in smaller quantities to reduce food waste (and save money!)
- Fans are encouraged to carpool, use public transportation, or cycle to try to reduce your carbon footprint
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2017 MLS season are available for purchase now. Season Ticket Members and Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/tickets/seasontickets to secure their 2017 LA Galaxy Season Ticket plan.